The Rex Manning

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer
So I finally got to take some photos of my new project I'm going to start. So far its just a few photos but more will be coming soon. I started a blog for my project so if you are interested take a look. I named the boat the rex manning. Visit the blog.

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: The Rex Manning

haha Love the name. Empire Records is such a great movie.

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

Ok. I finally got around to updating the blog. I adding some pictures of the starting point. If you are interested in my project take a look at the blog and you can see some photos and maybe even help answer a few questions or give some suggestions. I'm going update the blog as regular as I can, but I will post on here every time I do.

Here is the link: The Rex Manning

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

Would people prefer that I dont link to my blog and just put the photos up on Iboats? I would rather just send a link to my blog so I dont have to do the work of a post twice but I dont want to annoy people. I've just noticed that people respond to my post that I put on iboats really fast but nobody seems to respond to the blog...just thought maybe it annoyed people and I dont want to be that guy. :D

Josh

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

people on here usually prefer to have pics directly on the site. A lot of people dont bother clinking links.

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer
Cutting aluminum

Cutting aluminum

Does any one have a suggestions on how to cut some aluminum. I know that they are structural but I have plans on how to reinforce it. I want to cut a section of the seat out but I dont know the best way to do it. I want it to be a really clean cut. I was thinking that I could use an angle grinder but I'm not sure how well that would work. Any thoughts?

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Depending on the thickness of the aluminum you can cut it with an angle grinder but the alum will fill up your carborundum wheel. Hacksaws work and if you have air, a die grinder works well. Depends on what you want to cut. What ever you cut you will want to file or sand the rough edges. Post your project here. There have been lots of small boats rebuilt on iBoats. Do a search.

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

Depending on the thickness of the aluminum you can cut it with an angle grinder but the alum will fill up your carborundum wheel. Hacksaws work and if you have air, a die grinder works well. Depends on what you want to cut. What ever you cut you will want to file or sand the rough edges. Post your project here. There have been lots of small boats rebuilt on iBoats. Do a search.

Ok, here is a photo of what I want to cut. I'm not sure what a die grinder is but I might look into that. That black rectangle is what i want to cut.

Thanks for the info.

Attachments

• cut.jpg
    cut.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 0

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the reply on the blog Eric. I just want to say if I have any real questions I will post them on Iboats, I was just planning on putting photos on my blog because I'm already putting them on there I figured I wouldn't double up the work. So don't feel obligated to post on my blog. If you want to great or you can post on this thread but I have a specific questions maybe I will just post the photos here too. I figured this would be a good way to document the process.

As far as the transom cap goes. At first the wood I found was in surprisingly good shape but I did some more looking around and found that it does need to be replaced. So I will take that cap off totally. Now I just need to figure out how to do that and then fix the cap. Oh well, I have all winter long.

Thanks again!

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

I took apart the transom today and worked on that a bit. Drilled out the rivets and took off the cap. I got the wood out now I just need to cut a new transom board.

I'm not sure what kind of wood to use and how I should finish it. I'm going to do some searching around here but maybe someone has a suggestion.

If you want to see a few photos check out the site. The Rex Manning.

Thanks all!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

just do a searxch on plywood you will have tons of info......and then hit plywood drying.......again.....lots of info

sschefer

Rear Admiral

You may have already cut that piece out but if not, the fastest way to do that neatly is with a jig saw using a blade made for non-ferrous metal. Run it fast with max reciprocation and the blade won't clog. The alternative is to use a Sawzall but you need experience to do art work, (it's my personal favorite). Take the tops off first and get the styrofoam out it will be easier to see what you're doing.

jhtaylor

Seaman Apprentice

I see this is an ancient post but I thought I might comment on cutting aluminum in case anyone is interested. I have cut a lot of aluminum in the 1/4 inch and thinner sizes. I have made panels for jeeps and dune buggies for years. For straight line cuts I use a skill saw with a carbide blade. Be sure to wear eye and hand protection. You can actually cut fairly thick stuff this way. For corners and shapes I use jig saws and sawzalls with coarse blades. The idea is to chip cut the material. Grinders and burrs just plug up and quit.

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

I finally got back to working on my boat. I have three aluminum seats that have wood tops that get bolted to the aluminum. I was thinking, It would be nice if I could glue the nut in place so I don't have to try and squeeze a wrench under the seat to get it out. I tried JB weld on a test piece of aluminum but it didn't hold. I might not have let it set long enough or maybe I didn't prep it right.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I know that not all of you like to follow links but I added a lot of photos to my boat blog and a lot of text as well. I just dont want to do that over again.

Here is the update.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

rex is looking good bud.......

im just a little concerned about the wood you had "laying around".....we have a great deal of discussion on wood for boats.......i hope you used stuff with water proof glue between the plys.
the reason is it could de laminate after a few years, and you might have to do certain things all over again.

but dont worry too much about it.....early boat builders proved that just about any wood would work.

but all in all......she' s gonna be nice.

cheers
oops

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks oops!

I have done a lot of reading about the wood and glue. I think the wood that I have laying around is the same as a lot of folks use in their boats. Exterior grade plywood. I used a waterproof glue so hopefully it holds up. I would say that there is a 50% chance I will redo some of it next winter and a 90% chance that I will do it again in a few years. Not because it won't hold up but because I cant just let things be.

Thanks again for the reply!

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer
Through bolting transom

Through bolting transom

So in an effor to keep my threads I start down, I'm going to try to post all my questions in my restore thread as someone suggested earlier.

I remade my transom and got it all finished and ready to install but I have a few problems. I have a few areas that had some bolts all the way through the transom. Mainly the two that have the lift handles on the back. I also have a hole about the size of a drian plug that goes through the upper part of the transom. I dont know how to drill those holes so that I line up and hit the hole on the other side correctly. Does anyone have any advice? I'm afraid if I dont go in at the right angle I wont get it lined up and end up with extra holes.

Also, when I go to rivet the transom cap back on should I predrill out the little indents in the wood for the rivet to sit in there. If I predrill them should I do it before or after I seal it up. I'm afraid if i do it before I wont be able to get the transom back out.

I hope this all makes sense!

thanks