Mercruser 3.7L will not reach wot. Please Help!!!

mcorley122

Cadet
I have a 1990 Welcraft 17? bowrider it has a Mercruser IO 3.7L 165 hp in it. I had it out on the lake this weekend, it did fine for about 10 minutes then I started to lose RPMs until about all I could do was 1000 to 1500 RPMs any thing above that it would just bog it would never die but would not speed up. I put it in neutral and it would rev to about 3000 RPMs wot and that was it. It will idle just fine and start right up every time. I had this same problem last year but it would not go over 2000 RPMs so its gotten worse. I?ve changed points, condenser, rotor, dis cap, and fuel water separator filter. I also rebuilt the carb because the accelerator pump was bad. Today I fooled with it all day had it out of the water hooked to a water hose. It will start right up like always and idles smooth, you can slowly throttle up and it accelerates smooth and quick but stops at 3000 RPMs. You can also throw the throttle hard from idle to wot and it never hesitates or misses a beat but goes flat at 3000 RPMs. While it running at 3000 RPMs you can look down carb and the butterflies are wide open. I thought it was leaning out so I went through the fuel system and found no blockage, the fuel filter in the carb was clean, the one in the fuel pump was clean, and the fuel water separator is new. I do not have a way to cheek the fuel pressure, but I ran a line in a one-pint mason jar and cranked the engine it filed it up in about 12 seconds so fuel pump is good. I also bypassed the fuel tank and fuel water separator, by running the engine off a five gallon gas can and still got the same results it also dose this regardless if the engine is hot or cold. When the engine is running at 3000 RPMs I sprayed gas down the carb, which if the engine was leaning out should have caused it to speed up but it did the opposite and would just flood. So it has to be in the ignition but what in the ignition would cause this, timing is right on 4 degrees BTDC and max advance is were it needs to be, and there is nothing binding in the mechanical advance. Could a bad coil or condenser cause this. What have I missed Please Help!!!

Randy J

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercruser 3.7L will not reach wot. Please Help!!!

mkast list should help ya but id check the anti siphon valve ball may be sticking, and check vacume hose may be old and cracked ?

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

check vacume hose may be old and cracked ?

I have run into MIE installations with vacuum shifted transmissions.
Where is this vacuum hose located and what's it for?

mcorley122

Cadet

The only vacuum line on the engine goes from the fuel pump to the carb, and its not cracked, leaking, or stopped up. Where is this anti siphon ball valve located, if its in the fuel line coming out of the tank then I already bypassed it by running the engine from a five gallon gas can, and the motor still dose the same thing no change at all. I really think its in the ignition somewhere Any ideas?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The only vacuum line on the engine goes from the fuel pump to the carb,

That is NOT a vacuum line. It's to pass any leaks of the diaphram to the carb instead of in the bilge like an automotive pump would.

I really think its in the ignition somewhere Any ideas?

Then check your ignition system

mcorley122

Cadet

What in the ignition system would cause this?

Don S

I have no idea, that is why I said check it. Maybe something is loose, maybe the distributor shaft bushings are worn out, maybe a wire is chaffed, or the cap is cracked, or the .................. Get the picture?

jaandri

Cadet

Process of Elimination...

Its intersting that it starts up good and then worsens as the engine warms up... If it was a fuel issue, it would indicate a rich mixture...

However, lets assume the Carb is fine and that the points/condensor, timing are all good... (

By process of elimination, how are the spark plug wires... Have your replaced those yet? I had a 3.7L that had all of the same syptoms and the new wires fixed the problem.

mcorley122

Cadet

It doesn?t get worse as the engine warms up, it does the same thing right after start up while the engine is cold. The engine does not smoke when it doing this so I don't believe its flooding out. The only things I have not replaced are the plug wires, plugs, and coil. The plugs are fine they are not fouled and are a good color, the gaps fine to. I had a guy a work tell me the coil could be breaking down under load is that possible, I know in the past if I have had a coil problem it would be after the coil got hot then the engine would just quit. I have not heard of one going bad and not killing the motor. This boat also set for several years before it was give to me and I have had this problem since I've had it.

jaandri

Cadet

it did fine for about 10 minutes then I started to lose RPMs until about all I could do was 1000 to 1500 RPMs any thing above that it would just bog it would never die but would not speed up. I put it in neutral and it would rev to about 3000 RPMs wot and that was it. It will idle just fine and start right up every time.

I guess I was basing the assumption that it ran worse after warming up based on your description above...

Regardless, its a process of elimination. If you havent replace the spark plug wires, then do it. There is a good chance that is your problem... As I mentioned, I had the same issue and replaced all of the same parts and it wasnt until I replaced the wires that the issue was resolved.

Good luck

mcorley122

Cadet

Today I changed the plug wires and put a new coil on it, now every thing in the ignition system is new, and still does the same thing. I also noticed that it will pop through the carb occasionally while at wot 3000 RPM, it also was blowing blue smoke out the exhaust today. So its getting plenty of fuel at wot but whats holding it back? Timing maybe?? its on the mark at idle and advances fine to 3000 RPM then slows to a stop and runs rich.

Don S

Did you check the dwell while it was running to see if it changed as you got to 3000 rpm?

mcorley122

Cadet

I'll do it tomorrow I need to find my dwell meter not sure if I still have one.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

Timing? compression?

mcorley122

Cadet

dwell is fine dose not move. compression is good. ??? kinda sounds like it got a rev limmiter on it.

Don S

Ok, what was the dwell reading.

Do you have the Delco, or Prestolite distributor?

mcorley122

Cadet

I believe its a Delco. On top of the flame arrestor it has some engine specs listed, it say's the dwell should be between 28 and 32 Degrees, while running it stays at about 30 and dose not move. I went from idle to wot and it stayed the same.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

I believe its a Delco. On top of th
e flame arrestor it has some engine specs listed, it say's the dwell should be between 28 and 32 Degrees, while running it stays at about 30 and dose not move. I went from idle to wot and it stayed the same.

Timing? Check that the weights move freely and you're getting advance...

mcorley122

Cadet

the weights move freely and are not binding on any thing.