I would like to know, why replying to old threads is such a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
So, what's the big deal? Just curious. It's about as harmless as stepping on a crack in the sidewalk, it seems to me. So far, my mother's back hasn't been broken as a result.:D

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: I would like to know, why replying to old threads is such a bad thing.

I think that it is preferred that a member postes a "fresh" question rather than dragging up ancient history that has already been at the top of the section many moons ago. The original poster has either long since taken any advice offered or solved it themselves.
Fresh question = fresh advice and active members I think.
This question may be better placed in Dockside chat.
Just my 2 cents on it though and my humble opinion.

hawkerjv

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,
There is a lot of good information in OLD THREADS some need to be kept alive. I often research the old threads for information I need before I make a post, then you guys don't have to answer the same old question time and again.
Thanks for all the good service, all information you give is much appreciated.
Jim

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well I come on here to offer free help to people. Sharing my knowledge that I used to get paid for. So I read through a long thread and get to the end and maybe reply to somebody that is long gone. Kinda like talking on the phone and the other guy has hung up.

Or, get to the end and somebody has tacked on a "I had the same thing happen" comment. Wasted my time.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with FR on this one.
I have recently got into the habit of checking the original post date on any thread before I start reading.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

the original poster may have hung up, but often, the 15 other guys that posted to it many moons ago are still around. And there may be 10 new guys that haven't seen the info. I often find good useful info in resurrected threads.

A thread with good useful info has the best chance of being resurrected exactly because it has good info in it.

Or on the other hand, it may be an unanswered thread from long ago that is just now being answered, and OP is gone, but next guy asking similar question will get his answer.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

10. If you have questions, concerns, suggestions or complaints about the rules, management or moderation of this site please contact a moderator via PM or iboats management for discussion. It is forbidden to debate these rules or their enforcement in the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.