Dropped the boat on ramp, broke lower outdrive

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer
1999 alpha 1 5.0L 220hp

the boat slipped off the trailer too fast and hit some concrete in the ramp, and then water. idled for 10 minutes and noticed some oil or fuel floating intermittently. pulled the boat out of water and noticed large hole on the lower drive and gear oil was emptied within 15 minutes.

i have ordered the lower drive. Is the upper drive at risk at all coz of possible salt water getting in there?

emoney

Commander
Re: Dropped the boat on ramp, broke lower outdrive

For no longer than you kept it in there, I wouldn't think so.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

one of the good reasons to keep a safety chain on at all times including whilst towing till you have vessel in the water.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is the upper drive at risk at all coz of possible salt water getting in there?

Sure it's possible, if SALT water did get in there, it may already be too late and starting to rust.
Pull the top cover (12 point socket 3/8") and look for water in the upper.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

my mistake for removing the cable too early. thanks and i will also remove the top cover if i can find out how to do it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

and i will also remove the top cover if i can find out how to do it.

Remove 4 bolts and lift it up and off.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can we see some pics of this damage?

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

there's no browse option to upload my image. i dont know whats url link.

only 4 bolts? i'll see tonight after work.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

here's the pic of the lower.

what kind of socket is it to remove those four screws on top of the upper? i have to call it in to the dealer. different from standard sockets and nothing fits.

Attachments

• out hole.jpg
    out hole.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 0

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

per Don - (12 point socket 3/8"). Thanks.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

Don- before i remove this cover, what do i have to buy ahead so i can put it back on immediately? seal? gasket?

mercs4mark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh that doesnt look good ouch

joncrisler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1999 alpha 1 5.0L 220hp

the boat slipped off the trailer too fast and hit some concrete in the ramp, and then water. idled for 10 minutes and noticed some oil or fuel floating intermittently. pulled the boat out of water and noticed large hole on the lower drive and gear oil was emptied within 15 minutes.

i have ordered the lower drive. Is the upper drive at risk at all coz of possible salt water getting in there?

After looking at the pic- that is a HUGE hole. Your uppers are rusting at this very moment. What I would do is try to get a patch on that hole, using something like foil / metal duct tape, well sealed around the edges. Then fill up the unit with the cheapest marine gear oil, and run it in the driveway on muffs for about 10 minutes. Make sure to get it into forward and reverse gear to circulate the oil. Then drain it, and I would suggest repeating the process again. This should flush out the water and coat all the parts inside and stop the damage, and preserve your upper unit.

Once you get the new(er) lower on, after the first day out on the water, drain the oil again and carefully check it for water contamination. In all the changes above, make sure to use marine gear oil as it will keep a fair bit of water in suspension, allowing it to be removed when the oil is drained. Tolerating some water contamination is one of the biggest differences in marine gear oil vs. auto gear oil. I realize the temptation would be to use cheap motor oil and save a few dollars, cause heck its only running at idle speed on the muffs: but that will not emulsify the water, so use marine gear oil.

Let us know how things turn out.

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer

my mistake for removing the cable too early. thanks and i will also remove the top cover if i can find out how to do it.

I think we've all done that at least once. I tried to use my tilt mechanism last year, but the silicon I spray on my bunks before each recovery made them as slick as owl poop. Just the movement of me jumping back in the truck caused the boat to slide backward and WHAM! nice serrated skeg. Didn't hurt anything, luckily.