Transducer damage?

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
I was thinking of wiring my depth finder to the key switch so I would never forget to turn it on or off but then started wondering if there was any damage that could be done to the transducer by having it on out of the water ie: running on the flusher, having the key on out of the water, ect. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transducer damage?

You won't damage the transducer by wiring the locator to the ignition switch. Each time you turn off the ignition, the locator obviously turns off. However, when you turn the ignition back on, the locator will not power up until you press the POWER button again. Therefore, the locator would not be working when running on muffs, unless of course you turned it on again. But why would you do that?

John_S

Rear Admiral

If this is a DF gauge OK, but if this is really a FF, then you will want to run the FF when drifting, etc, and other times that you wouldn't want to leave the ignition switch on, with motor off. If a DF gauge, tie it into the other gauges (bus?) assuming you have them.

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

It's just an in dash, depth only read out. Sorry I didn't clarify. The gauge comes on when ever power is put to it so thats why I was wondering.