Extra Prop for Volvo Penta 3.0

ejj44

Seaman Apprentice
I want to get a an extra prop for my 2007 Glastron MX 175. It has a Volvo Penta 3.0L 130 HP engine. I am just looking for some suggestions and where to begin. Thanks in advance for your help.

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Extra Prop for Volvo Penta 3.0

Welcome to this forum! Your boat is new enough you should still be able to read the current prop size. Look just around the prop mounting nut, directly on the prop, will be a size. The digits may be something like this: 14.25 X 18. The first digits will be the diameter and the final number is the Pitch.

If you current performance is perfect for your needs, then get the same size for a spare. If you want a spare that changes performance a little, let us know the essential data found in a sticky at the top of this prop forum listing page.

Good luck!

ejj44

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you. I will get the information tonight off the current prop and go from there.
Thanks again!

Robbabob

I would just get what is on it now, duplicate. Any change in prop manufacture or material will change the handling characteristics.

Realize the one you posted requires a Hub Kit?

If you have a performance change in mind, you should post info from this link http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=287818

Good luck!

ejj44

Seaman Apprentice

What you are saying is to stick with an aluminum one and also not to change hub kit?
The size si the same as what I currently have. Does the make of the prop matter so much?

Robbabob

What you are saying is to stick with an aluminum one and also not to change hub kit?
The size si the same as what I currently have. Does the make of the prop matter so much?

I don't mean to confuse you. Nearly each prop manufacturer has their little nuance that can make a huge difference with performance. It's no big deal to change manufacturers or even design style within the same manufacturer. You just have to be prepared for the change.

As you originally stated you want a spare prop, there would be no need to purchase anything than what is proven to work with your setup (hull, gearbox, engine and HP).

You are doing the right thing by asking your questions... a lot of people purchase without a clue and then they're not satisfied. they THEN search out this forum and discuss how bad it went, and they're given the data as to why it was a wrong move.

If it's not broke, don't fix (or change) it. If you want to make a change for a specific improvement, you'll want to post information from the link I gave.

I'm not an expert or a prop guru... I'm just sharing what I've learned. It's what we do on iBoats :)

The great news will be, "when you make this change, you will share your experience and what you learned so the next person will make an intelligent decision on something they might modify."

KISS = Keep It Simple

ejj44

Seaman Apprentice

My main question to you then is...this last prop I posted being is not a change (only slightly in diameter) at $116, is not a bad price to pay for for a extra prop to have around just in case?
When you say to only use something that is proven to work with my setup, how do I know what that is?
Thanks again.

Robbabob

Looks like the latest one you posted should be very close to your current prop. Assuming your current prop is aluminum.

That is a very good price for a spare prop. I hope you checked for pricing on iBoats, too :)

fishrdan

Admiral

How does your current prop perform? Do you want better hole shot, more top-end speed? If you are buying a "spare" you could play with it a bit and maybe upgrade the current prop for something better, demote the current prop to the spare.

If going to a SS prop of the same pitch as your current prop, it will lower your RPM and possibly have worse performance. If your current prop is turning the proper WOT RPM (4800?) It's recommended to buy a SS prop with less pitch.

Mercury has a prop selector that you can play with, see what it suggests for your rig.

fishrdan

Admiral

Oh, BTW...

Why are you shoppin' at Overton's when Iboat's has exactly what you need :p PROPS