Starter motor gear intermitantly stuck.

Estoman

Cadet
1990 evinrude 90hp. The gear on the bendix got stuck on the fly wheel and I am just wondering what type of lubricant I should use to stop this from happening again.

Estoman.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter motor gear intermitantly stuck.

Clean that area with WD-40. DO NOT ever gease that gear as that will cause dirt to collect which will result in exactly what you're experiencing. The gear doesn't encounter very much use time wise so the solution of WD-40 can also be used as a lubricant.

If clean, and still sticking (while running), check the clearance between the gear and the flywheel teeth. If too tight, install a very thin (VERY THIN) washer as a shim between the top mount bolt of the starter and the powerhead.

Estoman

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I was going to grease the sh-t out of it. I'm glad I asked for advise.

Estoman

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The above input by Tash brings another possibility to mind, one that I didn't think about at the time.

Bad connections, as Tash implies, or a faulty or good but discharged battery will cause the starter solenoid to arc and stick internally which of course will cause the bendix gear to stay in the up position..... stuck in the flywheel teeth. Keep a eye out for this sticking solenoid scenario that Tash has indicated.

Estoman

Cadet

Great info. I will follow the directions and check everything out. Much appriciated.

Estoman