'08 Merc 2 Stroke tiller to forward steer conversion?

damez

Recruit
I have a tiller steer Mercury 40hp 2 Stroke 2008 model, just wondering if it is possible to convert to forward steer?? would like to put in a centre console. Cheers DS

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: '08 Merc 2 Stroke tiller to forward steer conversion?

damez;

What is your s/n? There are 2/3/and 4 cylinder 2 stroke 40s.

Gerry

Steve2011

Recruit

Hi Gerry,
Which control box would I use for a tiller conversion of a 2008 25hp two stroke Merc #ON104671? Can I get just throttle, no trim and no ignition?
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

carholme

Rear Admiral

Steve;

You engine comes up as a model 1025207FL.

Parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/11837.cfm

You will be interested in:

Remote Control Attaching Kit
Remote Control-4000 Side Mount(Non Power Trim)

The box will have everything installed, except trim but you don't have to connect the ignition switch if you are not going to use it, just connect the throttle and shifter cables.

Gerry

Steve2011

Recruit

Thanks for this info Gerry,
What would you recommend for steering setup? I've read that by using the steering link rod attaching kit merc#41323A2 I can use a common teleflex safe-T wheel/cable system for this motor.
Noticing that you are also in Ontario, is Crowley Marine still the most economical option for Canadians?
Oh yeah, one more question! Where would I find a basic aluminum side console for a 14' flat bottom grumman?

Steve

damez

Recruit

Hey Gerry, mine is the 3 cylinder 08 model 2 stroke 40hp... just wondering what i would need for the remote control conversion... ie Which control box would I use, (just throttle, no trim and no ignition)
Is there a similar kit to fit my motor?
and steve yeh i used a basic teleflex with the safe-t-wheel for mine, worked great just need to measure the cable out right.

damez

Recruit

serial number is ON105324 btw

fleetsuper

Recruit

Oh yeah, one more question! Where would I find a basic aluminum side console for a 14' flat bottom grumman?

Steve:

I have been trying to do the same thing and I've looked all over and gotten some info to help. I've been told that you can get a side console from each of the manufacturers, but I have found them to be priced pretty high. Here are two places I found that sell universal type side consoles;

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=9129&NEXTAG#

http://www.akmccallumco.com/store-console.htm

Still not cheap, but believe it or not, cheaper than the some of the manufacturers. I check Craig's list religiously and I finally found one from a guy stripping his out and was way cheap. I also got the steering, throttle, and engine controls. I'm still trying to get an answer to my questions on interchangeability of the different years of engines and controls.

Good luck,
Mike