No power under a load

farris42

Recruit
Hello, I am having trouble with my boat when it is under a load. I recently changed engines since my old one was not in the best of shape. When just running a hose to the pick-up pump and in neutral I can throttle up to 6k rpms no problem. But when I put it in the water and in gear I can cruise around in the 5mph zone no problem then once you throttle up and can't even get out of it's own wake. Any ideas? I think it may be related to a transmission problem or on a rare mishap the flywheel... :facepalm::confused:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: No power under a load

Hello, I am having trouble with my boat when it is under a load. I recently changed engines since my old one was not in the best of shape. When just running a hose to the pick-up pump and in neutral I can throttle up to 6k rpms no problem. But when I put it in the water and in gear I can cruise around in the 5mph zone no problem then once you throttle up and can't even get out of it's own wake. Any ideas? I think it may be related to a transmission problem or on a rare mishap the flywheel... :facepalm::confused:

Ayuh,.... Yer answer is probably in Here...

farris42

Recruit

Boat is 1987 Malibu Skiier. Replaced with a stock Chevy 350 swapped the intake, pump, thermostat, etc. I believe the engine was a 78-79. Not sure on HP. Running the stock carb, Rochester Quadra-jet with the right fuel screws for my elevation.

I'll take a look at that link as well. Thank you

Did you replace the engine with a marine engine or auto? Auto engines have the wrong cam in it plus a few other different things than marine. Has the lower unit been replace possible wrong gear ratio. Need to know more information really. I do not even know if it is a outboard or i/o.

farris42

Recruit

It was out of an old truck. Stripped down to the block and reassembled with the marine parts off the old engine. As far as I knew the cam wasn't different, I'll look into it. It is an inboard, mid engine ski boat. Had a 350 in it before. New MSD ignition system.