What are these bunk supports called?

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
My trailer is in desperate need of a bunk replacement. With that said, one of the adjustable bunk supports is bent and I have no clue what it's actually called in order to get a new one. Can some one point me in the right direction as to where I can find one like this? Heres a pic. Thanks

Picture.jpg

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What are these bunk supports called?

no idea what they are called but,,,,,,why not take it off and to a welder and have it heated and bent back to original....or better yet he might be able to build you something a little stouter.....just a thought.....

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

Good idea, however I have no place to keep the boat while I replace the bunks nor to I have the tools to lift the boat from the trailer. I'll see if I have a local welder that could bend it strait so it can be done while I have the boat on the local lake if I can't find a new one. Thanks for the idea!

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

Any other thoughts on where to find one of these supports?

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To my untrained eye....that simply looks like a piece of 1" square tube steel.....no fancy name in my opinion.

I'd think you'd be able to go to a welder/fabricator, and have him put his crane on the boat with a strap to lift it up a bit...pull the piece off, and either straighten, or re fab you a new one.

Question is....how, and why did it bend in the first place??
Seems to me like that little 1" piece is taking a bunch of stress of the boat....seems like the boat's sitting really high up on the bunk.

And the more I look at it.....although it's probably an illusion....that looks like a 2x6" piece of lumber!!!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

First of all I seriously doubt that's tube its probably square bar or solid, if so then splash your boat and remove the bar and beat it straight with a sledge, you don't even have to remove the bunk from the bar, I am assuming the bunk has another bar like this on the other side of the bunk so mark both supports for height and remove them from the trailer bang them straight on the ground/concrete/asphalt and then put the bunk back on, should take you 10 minutes and will not hurt a thing

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, the other side of the bunk has another bar like this one. It is not tube, it is solid. I'll try the big ole hammer first. Thanks for the thoughts

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

If you get a chance it would probably be a good idea to think about upgrading those to maybe a heavier gauge and/or welding them in and then adding a gusset to help them stay vertical, probably looking at an hour for a decent welder, I'm sure that without some sort of added material or support this will likely happen again.

qmrichardson

Seaman

By the looks of that hub, I'd say you are also in need of a new seal...