Need new control cables for 40hp Big Twin

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've put the 1963 Big Twin 40 hp (40352) on my old 17' Crestliner hoping that that control cables might be the right length, but of course, they're just a little short. I'm sure that this has been covered before and I'd be glad to read an old thread. Just couldn't find one now when I searched.

I can see that iBoats carries cables for pre-1979 Evinrudes. Do those come with the proper ends or do you have to swap any of that over?

From the back of the control box straight back to the transom it's just under 10'. From the back corner of the boat to the center is 30". The shifter cable that I have is just under 11' and the throttle cable is 12' 8".

Thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need new control cables for 40hp Big Twin

You need the Type 400. They come without the ends, and you have to swap your old ones over--or buy new ones. They are sold in one-foot increments, measured at the ends of the brass tubes, not overall length. Too long is better than too short. Avoid sharp curves. A circular loop at the motor is better than an S-curve.

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

A circular loop at the motor is better than an S-curve.

Thanks, F_R. By this, do mean that you recommend the cable going past the motor then looping towards the front of the boat and then straight back for the connection? Just curious, but why is this better than an S curve? Also, how big should the loop be?

Lastly, should I lube the cables with the same type of high quality lubricant that I use on my motorcycle control cables?

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

After measuring cables again, I got my control box open this evening. It appears to me that the ends on my shifter control cable can be easily swapped over to a new cable. However, it looks like the ends on my throttle cable are not removable. Is this correct? If so, what should I do?

controls_and_ends.jpg

My other question has to do with the idea of looping the control cables back by the motor. I've read what Teleflex recommends in this regard. Seems like it will work OK with the shifter cable which connects on the starboard side because that one will loop directly in front of the motor. With the throttle cable on the port side, though, that loop seems like it could potentially get hooked over the the back corner of the boat in sharp turns.

I want to do this right, I'm just seeing potential problems in my particular application. Thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Somebody has modified your control. The shift cable is a type 400 and the throttle cable is a type 479. Replace in kind.

Yes, the preferred way is a loop, going past the motor and looping back to enter from the front. Actually, that method started in the late 1960's and worked better with the then-new motors because both cables entered the cowling together. I know what you mean concerning your 1963. The shift cable will lay in place nicely, but the throttle cable sometimes requires deviation from the plan. All I can say is play around with an old cable and see how it lays the best before ordering new ones.

The loop just works better, that's all. Every time you make a S curve, it gets more difficult to operate. Something about the inner wire binding, I suppose.

New cables do not require any added lubricant.

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks again for your reply a couple of weeks ago, F_R. After talking with the control cable tech support guy at Teleflex, I've decided to use a loop on the shifter side and a large S curve on the throttle side. Hopefully it will work out OK. I'll know in about a week.

I've disassembled my controls box and am getting it cleaned before I hook everything up. I'd like to put a little silicone grease on the nylon glides and bushings but I'm wondering what's recommended. Thanks.

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Predictably, the modified controls are giving me a little trouble. As you pointed out, F_R, I should have had two 400-style cables but the throttle was modified to take a 479-style cable. Two problems with that...

First, the plastic "button" (shaped like a cylinder) on my new 479 cable that slides into a receiver in the control box to hold the cable housing in place is larger than the one on a 400 cable, both in length and diameter. It fits very tightly and doesn't allow the box to be closed completely.

Also, I've got a hitch in the operation of the throttle lever a little past twelve o'clock that I can't seem to get rid of. The cable slides freely and the plastic pivot pieces feel fine when not installed so maybe it's just holding the housing too tightly??? The brass tube is kind of being torqued as the lever is moved. You can see on the photo above that lever end of the brass tube on my old cable housing actually separated from that plastic cylinder. Too much stress?

I'm thinking about shaving the plastic cylinder down with a utility knife on both ends so that I can at least get the box closed. Should I also try and make the diameter a little smaller? It seems like that same piece on the new 400 cable is almost too loose when it's installed. There's actually a small amount of free play there when the shifter is operated. Maybe that's necessary for proper cable operation?

I'd appreciate some input on this. Thanks.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, that just goes to show the problems one gets into when modifying parts. One thing leads to another....

Bck to the 400 cable. The trunnion (barrel) is supposed to have two plastic end caps, part number 308055 to take up the slop and make it fit the box. I suppose those are missing?

As for the throttle, cable, yes I see the old one is toast. And I don't know what to tell you about the non-fitting trunnion. As I said, one thing leads to another. I guess you are on your own on that one. Hindsight says you probably would have been better off restoring the throttle side to original design.

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not honestly sure where these controls came from, but I gather that they were not original for these motors. Were these the controls it would have had?

My concern about attempting to restore the throttle to type 400 compatibility is whether I'll be able to find the nylon/plastic pivot piece that receives the cable inside the box. To buy another complete set of controls just to get that piece could be pretty spendy. Do you have a parts list for these controls? I assume that the Johnson Ship-Master and the Evinrude Simplex models of the same vintage are identical, right? If you have a part number for that piece I could at least do some searching. Thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Send me your e-mail address in a PM and I'll reply with the parts list. Yes, that is the correct control for a 1963. I may be able to help with some used parts, depending on what you want. We can discuss in e-mail.

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have now rebuilt my controls and converted the throttle side back to a type 400 cable. Thanks, F_R, for your direct intervention! Having observed proper operation of the controls, I realize what the problem with the previous setup was. The smaller trunions (with trunion caps) on the correct cables allows them to pivot slightly. With the larger type 479 trunion driven down into the receiver in the case, and the larger diameter brass tube on the cable wedged into the slot through which it passes, it just restricted the movement of the control so much that apparently the cable failed. Working well now, though.

I am wondering, however, whether I should have throttle movement through the full potential range of the control lever. It moves smoothly from the idle position up about half way or so. Then, when that portion of the linkage connected to the top of the throttle shaft back on the motor starts to slide through the slot (does that make any sense?), the resistance increases quite a bit. The throttle lever on the controls probably only goes a little ways past twelve o'clock.

I'm kind of toasted tonight... Hoping to test the it out on the lake on Wednesday. Thanks!