johnson 200 v6

bwmL6

Recruit
Help, I am trying to help out a girl friend of mine, her x husband really mucked up her outboard, its a johnson 200 v6, we have no idea what year the motor is, but heres the problem, last time we took the boat out we could not get better then 10 knots out of it, so we pulled the boat out, I pulled the plugs yesterday and all but the top left were fouled with oil and gas, I charged up the battery and had here son crank it over, while he was doing the cranking I relised that the VDO (what ever that stands for) pump was smokeing , not from the wireing harness but from the cover it self, I am haveing a hard time trying to find one to replace it with, but was wondering what would be intailed with getting rid of it tottaly and just premixing the gas in the main tank, I should note right here that I think some one might have poured the oil mix in the tank in the past because I can smell the oil when I open the fuel lid, any help would be greatly welcomed, Marc email is audiluver2002@yahoo.com

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson 200 v6

The VRO or OMS pump should not smoke. Post a picture and we can narrow down the year. The newer motors have a 4 wire OMS Pump. A model number will give us the year as well. It will look like J150EXECD, which is a 1998 Carb version Johnny 150HPV6.

The wires are for sensors, not to power the pump, so it is likely you have some sort of short in your motor.