new aluminum gas tank, should I paint before installing?

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm getting ready to install a new aluminum "belly" tank under the deck of our ski boat. The original had lots of pitting from moisture contact and corosion. I was thinking it might be a good idea to coat it for protection. I happen to have a couple of cans of rubberized undercoating that is made for automotive fender wells, and thought that might work well for this. What do you think?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: new aluminum gas tank, should I paint before installing?

I'm getting ready to install a new aluminum "belly" tank under the deck of our ski boat. The original had lots of pitting from moisture contact and corosion. I was thinking it might be a good idea to coat it for protection. I happen to have a couple of cans of rubberized undercoating that is made for automotive fender wells, and thought that might work well for this. What do you think?

Howdy,

You're in the wrong forum.......... this is the Mercruiser I/O forum. This question might be better served in Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair

Or BOAT Topics!!!!:p:p Hoo Boy! That was a fast MOVE!!
lolhit.gif

I don't think you need to paint or coat it at all...... That tank will last 20 years unpainted. If it bothers you, get yourself a spray can of Zinc-Chromate primer and paint it.

CA_7-6889A.jpg

Regards,

Rick

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

+1. The tank will be just fine.

NYBo

Admiral

Keep the bilge dry and it will outlast the rest of the boat.