1986 Evinrude 120hp Steering Arm Assembly Removal and Replacement, worth it?

dereck_coons

Cadet
I have now had two local marinas tell me that you gotta take the powerhead off to replace the steering arm assembly. I guess these are notorious for rotting off? Now Looking at this thing I can only see Six bolts that hold the Motor on to the swivel bracket. Why on earth would you remove the powerhead when you can take out these six bolts, drop the lower unit off so the shift rod is clear, and then replace this steering arm. I think Im also going to replace the mount bracket also as the used part price isnt that bad and the bearings seem really loose on the old one, Im figuring $150-200 in used parts and 2 hours labor. One local place told me to do this job would cost more than the motor is worth. Now I know this motor is old but the boat belonged to my aunt for 10 years and rarely used.... Another mechanic told me that he has never heard of doing this repair without removing powerhead. The only way that I knew this was possible is from an earlier post on here where someone told me it was relatively easy, they even posted pictures so that you could see it being done, how awsome!! Question is can anyone explain why remove powerhead instead of doing it this way?
Thanks

Vlad65

Recruit
Re: 1986 Evinrude 120hp Steering Arm Assembly Removal and Replacement, worth it?

I have a simnilar situation. Were you able to remove fix without removing the powerhead. Also, Where did you see the post with pictures and how did you get the lower engine cover off.

Thanks!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 Evinrude 120hp Steering Arm Assembly Removal and Replacement, worth it?

Go to Shop.Evinrude.com and look up your mtr. You'll get a better idea of what's going on. You may be right in what you want to do. Just have a good mtr hoist.