Lake Norman NC

Lindeman23

Seaman
Next week me and my family are planning on a week long boating trip down to Lake Norman NC. Anyone know of any good places to eat or hang out on the Lake? Thanks

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Lake Norman NC

If you don't get any responses here you might try the NC board on crappie.com. We have a lot of people that fish that lake.

Nandy

Commander

The Rusty Rudder. You can dock at their dock, walk into the restaurant, eat, drink then leave. I been to it but never in the boat because I dont like Lake Norman. Too busy for me.

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

VERY busy. So busy on the weekends that you won't even want to be on plane because it's so bumpy. But, that being said, it's popular for a reason. Actually, we are planning on spending the day at the tie up at the sand bar for memorial day.

The Rusty Rudder is awesome. I haven't been by boat yet, but we probably will for memorial day.

You'll have fun. It's worth the trip.

Steve

Lindeman23

Seaman

We have been there before and had a great time. I did feel like my 20ft. was the smallest boat on the whole lake but other than that it was great. We spent the day at an island and had a blast. I really cannot wait to go back. Thanks for the tip!

Nandy

Commander

As I saiD, too busy. Big rigs, water is full of boats coming from all direction, if you go on plane you need a large boat or you will have some loose teeth and some loose screws. I like to go to a lake and cruise around, find a spot, drop anchor or let the boat drift while we float next to the boat tie down to it.
However, if you get there early enough and park in the local hangout sandbar for the day it is probably not bad.

Lindeman23

Seaman

Thanks for your insight, I'm not all that familiar with the lake so we will see how things go. I doubt that many people will be out there this early in the year. Hopefully all goes well.

Nandy

Commander

They are already there... Not as many but enough many... Weekdays are a bit better. When I visit lake Norman the first time I did on a saturday and went fishing with my trihull... Lord, big mistake.... Then I went a couple of years ago in my cobia which is a lot more tolerant of choppy water do to the cathedral hull but no dice... We found a cove and jumped in the water. I guess my issue is getting to where I want to go and having to keep an eye on 10 boats at the same time. I cant tell you where the local sandbars are but hopefully someone will chime in. The other thing you can do is just cruise around and you will find them. Most coves in that lake that can handle large amount of boats are not hidden from the channel...

Lindeman23

Seaman

Well I'm about 24 hours away from leaving and I cannot wait. I haven't packed a single thing, its pouring down rain here, and I still have a few things I need to do to the boat before we go. Nothing like procrastinatin.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I call it Lake Drone Whine Dodge.
The droning of the high horsepower boats of the racing community.
The whining of a gazillion jet skis all the while you'll be dodging sailboats.
A great lake for energy and excitement, just not my kind of boating.

captainzac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Spend another hour and a half and come down to Lake Murray in Columbia SC

Harry