Attention Maine-iacs

sasto

Captain
I have always been interested in lobster boats from Maine. I have also been wanting to take a train to Maine someday.The two may come together this summer. Has anybody ever been to the lobsterboat races? I'm looking at either July 2nd at Jonesport or July 9th at Searsport.

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Attention Maine-iacs

I haven't been to the lobster boat races but spent quite a few summers camping in Maine when I was a kid. I love Bar Harbor and Portland. We used to buy lobsters right off the boats in the harbor.

Bondo

Staff member

I have always been interested in lobster boats from Maine. I have also been wanting to take a train to Maine someday.The two may come together this summer. Has anybody ever been to the lobsterboat races? I'm looking at either July 2nd at Jonesport or July 9th at Searsport.

Ayuh,... I don't believe the trains run north of Boston, though they Might go as far as Portland...
Ya might consider another form of transportation..
And,...
Starsnstripers lives in Searsport,...
My Love, 'n I have stopped to see 'im, 'n went for a ride in his Old Town Atlantis last summer...
My family lodge is 'bout 30 miles or so northeast of there, on a tiny pond called Chemo...
It's up off rte. 9, the airline road...
It's also 'bout the same distance from Bar Harbor, only more northerly..

I'll gladly answer any questions ya got, If I know the answers...

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Used to watch the Friendship sloop races back when the were in Friendship. But never lobster boat races. My family has cabins in Friendship. Don't get up there like I used to as a kid hard to get away from work But it sure is nice there.

sasto

Captain

Thanks!

I'm leaning towards Jonesport. I can catch a train from DC to Boston. Then from Boston to Portland.

What kind of transportation can I find in Jonesport. Do I need to rent a car? Any recommendations on accomindations? What is the event like? I haven't found much on the www and figured you locals could provide me with more info.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I live 15 miles out of Portland and will be happy to try and answer any questions you might have..PM me anytime. As you see the train only goes as far as portland although there's talk of bringing it further north at some point. Rent a car and take the easy ride up Rt 1. Lots to see along the way. LL Bean and Delorme maps in Freeport are fun stops then Acadia National Park. Lots of small motels, hotels and B&Bs but I highly recommend you reserve a place to stay in advance. No, I do not work for the Maine State board of tourism.

sasto

Captain

Thanks guys and gal,

Something I've wanted to do for a long time is visit your area. I have a chance to do it this summer. I would like to go to the lobsterboat races and eat some Maine lobster all day! I'll do some research on the www but any other imput is appreciated. I'll shoot out a PM if necessary.

Anybody ever attend any of the lobsterboat racing circuit events in Maine?

aspeck

Staff member

When you head back south, stop by and drop some lobster off ... the train comes right through here! :p :)

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've never been to one. Eating lobster and steamed clams is one of my favorite past times!

sasto

Captain

When you head back south, stop by and drop some lobster off ... the train comes right through here! :p :)

You never know about me, Art. I have your #.....:p back a ya!

aspeck

Staff member

;):p:D (freezer is pretty empty right now... )

rbh

Fleet Admiral

If he keeps going north, past the border, catches the VIA train to Kamloops BC, I will pick him and the lobster up.
No problems, you guys are busy people. :)