1974 Starcraft Chieftain 18' OB refit

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Submitted for approval by the Starmada. Yes I know its about time :facepalm: I've been around here a little while and learned a great deal from many of you already, Thanks!!

Picked up this package last October. It will get a complete over haul. Needs floor, transom, paint...the works. Its so heavy I can't pick up the end of the trailer so new flotation too inless someone poured 200 lbs of concrete in the bow. This girl has been in salt water and has some corrosion. Looks like anti fowling paint there to deal with. Engine is a 1990 90hp Evinrude V4 VRO with T&T that runs. Compression 115;112;112;120. I've been working on it in the garage off and on all winter to bring major maintainance up to date. Carbs rebuilt, t-stats, new fuel lines, trim pump, paint job and OEM decals. PO says the impeller was changed last summer. Waiting for warmer weather to finish painting. I plan to do more major things after I get it back on the boat and run it a bit. Special thanks right off to the good folks in the Erude outboard forum! :D
Now the bottom line...Paid $1000. Came with 2 new seats, new binimi, old fish finder, 18 and 12 gallon plastic tanks and potty. Sitting on a sweet galv low bunk trailer.

Attachments

• DSCF2083.jpg
    DSCF2083.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF2052.jpg
    DSCF2052.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF2077.jpg
    DSCF2077.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF2059.jpg
    DSCF2059.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF2066.jpg
    DSCF2066.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 6

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1974 Starcraft Chieftain 18' OB refit

Well......... don't just talk about it.......... get to it!!!

Nice boat and set up..... you need to install a roller right where the bow keel is close to the trailer just for extra protection.

brighp2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

good luck on your cheiftain

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well......... don't just talk about it.......... get to it!!!

Nice boat and set up..... you need to install a roller right where the bow keel is close to the trailer just for extra protection.

Well, I suppose if I need a kick in the butt I know where to go. :eek: The snow finally melted, when the lawn drys out I'll bring it to the garage. No credit for the work on the OB?..Starcraft work is all that matters, Right?.

I agree on the roller. That bow is hanging out there a ways.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

good luck on your cheiftain
Thanks brig. I'm keeping a close eye on your project and like what you've done. Wife wants a wider cabin door now.:facepalm:

brighp2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

your a brave man letting your wife get involved!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

When I read the title and author I was going to say, "It's about time!" You beat me to the punch buddy.

I really want to say nice work on the OB but I have no before/after photos to give ya a pat on the back man!

Hey, this is going to be a great project, I hope you are ok with me tagging along.:D

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

when I red the title and author I was going to say, "It's about time!" You beat me to the punch buddy.

I really want to say nice work on the OB but I have no before/after photos to give ya a pat on the back man!

Hey, this is going to be a great project, I hope you are ok with me tagging along.:D

Counting on it!!!! I'll need all the help I can get.
No after photos yet but here are a couple befores to satisfy the angry mob. 2600psi and decals don't mix. I wiped them out by accident so I had to go all the way. My local dealer could only find 2 decal sets in the whole country and I got one of them at dealer cost.:D These are before I wiped them out.

Attachments

• DSCF2096.jpg
    DSCF2096.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF2094.jpg
    DSCF2094.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 1

Huron Angler

Admiral

Glad to see you've got the resto thread going...looks like a nice rig.

The 'rude should be a good one for that boat, nice to see good compression readings there.

Are you rigging this up to fish or just to cruise?

Looking forward to seeing what you've got planned:)

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Plan is to use it for fishing and crusing. Pushing the splashwell back and adding a belly tank and pimpin out ye ole stabbin cabin will be the major mods.

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

Cool, way cool. Will be following your thread. You said transom did you mean splashwell?
GLG

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes I did, thanks, fixed. I'm thinking of doing what briggs has done to his or just push it back.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here are a couple pics of the O/B stand I threw together. I don't really need the counter weights but I like the added safety. The TnT unit is done and the motor ready for paint.

Attachments

• DSCF2300.jpg
    DSCF2300.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2302.jpg
    DSCF2302.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2303.jpg
    DSCF2303.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 2

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yesterday I got the SS all ship shape and ready to chase some land locked salmon. Now the Mini Chief is parked in front of the garage and I started pulling all the gear out last night. Must admit I'm already feeling a bit overwhelmed but that should go away soon. I want to get the new transom in first so that should be a boost. I know that 1 sheet of ply will be enough for a 16 footer but what about this 18 footer? I want to have the each sheet in one piece.

The O/B painting has been a chore. Can't get the cowl quite right and the weather is almost good enough to do the engine. Rattle cans suck!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Must admit I'm already feeling a bit overwhelmed but that should go away soon.

Dood, I feel that way all the time. Just yesterday I was standing on the deck, hands on hips, thinking "man I still have a long way to go, soooooo much to do, yikes!" And, I have been working on this for over a year!!!

What helps me is to keep the big picture in mind but only focus on the next task at hand. One step at a time, one foot in front of the other, just keep the blades turning, ya know!

Transom - yah you prolly will need 2 sheets of 3/4". I know I did and mine can't be that much bigger. You can use the scraps for other stuff.

You can do it!:D

Cheers!

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the support Jason! I've been collecting lots of pics of finished restos, looking at them helps alot!!! I'm already fussing on paint color.:facepalm:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the support Jason! I've been collecting lots of pics of finished restos, looking at them helps alot!!! I'm already fussing on paint color.:facepalm:

Oh that part was easy for me!:)

(Yah right:rolleyes::rolleyes::facepalm::facepalm:I was stewing on it yet this morning)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Totally forgot, OB, sorry. One sheet maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.