adding trim to outboard

Mezadami

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone,
I have a '77 Merc 850. While viewing local used adds, I stumbled upon a power trim that someone is selling. The add mentions for an older 1960-80 Merc. There a picture and description of hte unit. Everything seems to be there.

My question - can I add this to my existing O/B that is manual tilt.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• pwrtrim.jpg
    pwrtrim.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 0

Laddies

Banned
Re: adding trim to outboard

That will fit but I do't see the mounting bolts for it

Mezadami

Seaman Apprentice

There were 4 pictures. Two of the same, one of the hydraulic cylinder and another which was blurry. I've attached the blurry picture. Is this what you were referring to?

Attachments

• pwrtrim2.jpg
    pwrtrim2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Laddies, Doesn't the PTT bracket mount to the upper shock mount with the original 1/2" SS fine thread bolt? I had thought that if you removed the shocks, you can bolt the brackets on, and then install the cylinders. Did my memory fade over the years?

I had thought that thick rod that was the upper shock mount was universal to PTT and non-PTT motors.

Laddies

Banned

Once the shocks are removed most older engines require the kit for spacers and the longer bolts, I also did not see the longer rubbers for the engine end. I don't remember then the engines started to come with the longer bottom mounts but even with them, I think there are some bushings and washer along with longer bolts.

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Laddies...You are correct. I just added PTT to my '69 800. My unit has 1" pistons and I needed longer bolts and bushings. I don't know if the 3/4" pistons need the same items.

Thanks, Ed

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK - That may be why my '77 didn't need longer bolts and spacers for it's PTT.