2000 130 Johnson Knocking Noise

Dj196876

Recruit
I have a 2000 130 Johnson that started knocking today on the water. I first thought it was the lower engine (which may be) as I had had this happen to this the motor before and had to get it replaced. What is different this time is it knocks the entire time except in reverse. Even when the engine is off and I spend the prop foward, I hear the knocking. Does this sounds like something with the lower engine or are there bearings or something similar in the prop or shat that could go wrong. By the way, it just started knocking, as I do not recall hitting anything.

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: 2000 130 Johnson Knocking Noise

Sounds like you have an issue in the lower unit.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a 2000 130 Johnson that started knocking today on the water. I first thought it was the lower engine (which may be) as I had had this happen to this the motor before and had to get it replaced. What is different this time is it knocks the entire time except in reverse. Even when the engine is off and I spend the prop foward, I hear the knocking. Does this sounds like something with the lower engine or are there bearings or something similar in the prop or shat that could go wrong. By the way, it just started knocking, as I do not recall hitting anything.
Is it knocking in neutral?

Dj196876

Recruit

No, only knock when prop is spinning. Again, it knocks even when the engine off.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No, only knock when prop is spinning. Again, it knocks even when the engine off.

I dont believe I would run it,not untill the lower was droped and inspected.You may have a small problem and running it can create a major problem,Your problem could be a few different parts which one can only be determined by inspection.