Boat suudenly slows down on plane and stalls then hard to start

austoo

Recruit
Hi, I have a 1993 Chris Craft bowrider with 5.0 OMC (Ford 302). I was out running around and the boat was running great. Suddenly I could hear the engine rpms dropping and boat came off plane and stalled. It would not start after that for about 20 minutes. I had to limp back home after that because every time I tried to get on plane it would stall again and would be hard to get started again. As I got closer to home, it really started stalling a lot. I took it out again a few weeks later and exact same problem. It ran fine, got up on plane and came off plane and stalled. It seems like once it stalls that first time, boat does not want to run after that because up to that point it runs fine like it always did. Help!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Boat suudenly slows down on plane and stalls then hard to start

Hi, I have a 1993 Chris Craft bowrider with 5.0 OMC (Ford 302). I was out running around and the boat was running great. Suddenly I could hear the engine rpms dropping and boat came off plane and stalled. It would not start after that for about 20 minutes. I had to limp back home after that because every time I tried to get on plane it would stall again and would be hard to get started again. As I got closer to home, it really started stalling a lot. I took it out again a few weeks later and exact same problem. It ran fine, got up on plane and came off plane and stalled. It seems like once it stalls that first time, boat does not want to run after that because up to that point it runs fine like it always did. Help!

Ayuh,... When was the last time it was given a Complete Tune Up,..??
How about a Full Servicing,..??

It sounds like water in the fuel,....
Change, 'n inspect the fuel filters, 'n their contents...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It also sounds like a plugged up vent for the fuel tank. After running for a while and the tank pulls a vacuum, the fuel pump can't pull any gas from the tank. Could also be trash in the tank and the screen on the pickup gets plugged up.

Here are some tests to determine what the problem may be.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=283269

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

Could also be trash in the tank and the screen on the pickup gets plugged up.

Here are some tests to determine what the problem may be.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=283269

thats what I'm thinking it might be. chased a problem like this all last summer on my neighbor's boat. fuel bulb would even suck shut. went through the entire fuel system and all was well.

finally, while just asking him questions he mentioned he changed the fuel gauge sender on the tank. we popped the cover and pulled it out. he had used RTV to seal it, the fuel vapors in the tank caused some of the rtv to break free and fall into the tank, then it swoll up to the size of a baseball and would get sucked to the fuel pickup and cause him to stall out.

had to pull the tank, drain, and fish all that crap out of there. been fine ever since.