going to look @ boat w/ milky oil

shoestring

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My son is thinking about picking up a newer Eliminator with a 454/ bravo/carb/ that is most likely cracked. I've seen pictures of the boat but haven't seen it in person yet. From everything he has told me, it sounds pretty clean. at this point, it sounds like it would be worth fixing. I need to check it out good before he decides. He has the people talked down to trading labor for the boat and trailer. the motor has 120 hours on the clock. I've built several engines for cars and trucks, and I could handle this easily, but I've never built a marine engine. (other than outboards). So, lets talk engine block. what would be the best way to come up on a bare block for use in a boat. could I pick up one from a junk yard and have it made suitable for a boat? this is a sea water cooled design. I figure i would open the engine up and see if anything is salvageable before any decisions are made. if the whole engine is junk we would just get a marine crate long block. It might have 3 year old milky oil in it for all I know. any tips for someone about to embark on such an adventure? I wouldn't mind spending some effort on this. time spent with the kid is always cool!

kewlkatdady

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: going to look @ boat w/ milky oil

I recently replaced a engine (4.3) due to milky oil...

I went with a Rapido Marine long block. I was cheaper than building my own and included a warranty.

Motor is a motor...its the bolt on and internals that are diffrent between car and marine motors.

BTW...it was this forum that steered me towards Rapido...as Raul has a good reputation on this site...other sites also I'm sure.

EMC 1810SS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It could be as simple as in intake gasket or as bad as a cracked block. If it has sat for 2 years with milky oil I would bet the crank surfaces and bearings are shot. New bearings at a minimum all the way to a new crank. A marine 454 block is the same as a truck block, the parts that go into the block are what are different. Freeze plugs, thermostat ring gaps, Head gaskets etc are different for a marine engine. The Accessories are also different. If it was mine, I would identify EXACLTY what went wrong. (could be just a blown oil cooler) Then go from there.

shoestring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It could be as simple as in intake gasket or as bad as a cracked block. If it has sat for 2 years with milky oil I would bet the crank surfaces and bearings are shot. New bearings at a minimum all the way to a new crank. A marine 454 block is the same as a truck block, the parts that go into the block are what are different. Freeze plugs, thermostat ring gaps, Head gaskets etc are different for a marine engine. The Accessories are also different. If it was mine, I would identify EXACLTY what went wrong. (could be just a blown oil cooler) Then go from there.

yeah, we won't know til we get it. I'm real sure it froze hard a few winters back. I knew the blocks were the same, i wasn't sure about any corrosion prevention a marine block has compared to an automotive block. we are trying to get an idea of best/worst case scenerio, dollar wise. we need to put a budget together first.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You won't know until you get the engine how bad the block is, or even if it's salvagable. One thing to remember, water in oil will NOT get milky unless the engine is running. Might after 5 or 10 years, but not 2. So you can bet the engine was running when the water got in to begin with. Just an FYI, new engine should also include new manifolds and risers. Consider the oil cooler as a possible problem, they are spendy too. If you do end up getting the boat, post the Serial numbers of the engine and outdrive. I do have links to the OEM service manuals that will help in the replacement of the block and a few other things you will need to do. Like all the bellows.
Don't make your budget too small, there is nothing cheap about what you are about to do.

fastimz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will agree with most everyones opinion. First thing to do is plan for the worst. get the boat with the idea of replacing the engine. Marine block and automotive blocks are the exact same, no treatment, no nothing. The camshaft is different in the shortblock and the heads have bronze valve guides installed. Head gaskets are stainless steel and all the external items are marine specific. As for Rapido Marine, I have a 350 in my Larson that I got from them about 7 years ago and I run the heck out of it. Good motor for the right price. Hope this helps!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the heads have bronze valve guides installed. Head gaskets are stainless steel

Not exactly, OEM heads are all cast iron, same as automotive no bronze guides OEM. gaskets used to have stainless rings, now-a-days they are all composite.

shoestring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You won't know until you get the engine how bad the block is, or even if it's salvagable. One thing to remember, water in oil will NOT get milky unless the engine is running. Might after 5 or 10 years, but not 2. So you can bet the engine was running when the water got in to begin with. Just an FYI, new engine should also include new manifolds and risers. Consider the oil cooler as a possible problem, they are spendy too. If you do end up getting the boat, post the Serial numbers of the engine and outdrive. I do have links to the OEM service manuals that will help in the replacement of the block and a few other things you will need to do. Like all the bellows.
Don't make your budget too small, there is nothing cheap about what you are about to do.

I looked at it last night. starboard ex. manifold is cracked and the end of the oil cooler is broke off. boat and trailer look solid. dirty but would clean up pretty nice. I was thinking of disconnecting and capping all cooling water lines at the block and putting 5 or so psi in it with a gauge just to see what happens. Has anyone tried this? pulled the dip stick and it didn't show oil at all, maybe it was drained, maybe it's in the lake via the oil cooler. I was able to get the crank to turn a little, but i didn't bring tools along to do any more. long block, manifolds and risers, oil cooler,drive plate, impeller, bellows, ect will fit in the budget if needed. I just need to know the boat will get used and not sit on the trailer for years. I see I posted this under the wrong topic.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I looked at it last night. starboard ex. manifold is cracked and the end of the oil cooler is broke off.

That's classic freeze damage. You could do a block pressure-check. Good luck on that. You should pump it up to 15 PSI or so..........turn off the compressor and listen for leaks. It should hold pressure.

Those eliminators are pretty nice boats.....If you plan to run in salt, you should consider adding closed cooling when you replace the engine.

regards,

Rick