Pie In The Sky - Sportsman Craft

WhyallaTim

Cadet
Here are some pics of my latest project. I am still learning how to upload photos to this site.

I only picked the boat up a week or so ago and have moved house at the same time. The boat has had to sit out of the shed (garage) until I build some shelving and sort out the mess.

Thanks to all who viewed and or replied to my previous threads.

Enjoy

Tim :D

Attachments

• Boat Maker.jpg
    Boat Maker.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Captain's Helm.jpg
    Captain's Helm.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Stern.jpg
    Stern.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0

WhyallaTim

Cadet
Re: Pie In The Sky - Sportsman Craft

Here are some pics and info.

Hull - Approx 19' Fibreglass. Year - Unknown
Motor - Mercury 1150. Year - 1974

Floor ply over laid with F/G and is spongy - Needs to be replaced
Spider cracks and chips at top of hull - Best way to repair?
Was a full cabin but has been cut out and opened by P.O.

Spider Cracks.jpgPortside Floor.jpgFuel Floor Cover.jpgPO Repairs.jpgCabin Floor.jpg

WhyallaTim

Cadet

Did some exploratory digging into the floor and hit a permanent water supply. Floor has been replaced at some stage in sections. The original flooring is rotted. The stringers are like soggy papier mache with only fibreglass shell holding up the floor.

Attachments

• Paper Stringers.jpg
    Paper Stringers.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Permanent Water Supply.jpg
    Permanent Water Supply.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Replacement Job.jpg
    Replacement Job.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Good Flooring.jpg
    Good Flooring.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Hollow Stringers.jpg
    Hollow Stringers.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 0

WhyallaTim

Cadet

More Photos of the devastation found today.

Attachments

• Clean Me.jpg
    Clean Me.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Tools of Trade.jpg
    Tools of Trade.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Port Floor 1.jpg
    Port Floor 1.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Port Under Floor.jpg
    Port Under Floor.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Starboard Under Floor.jpg
    Starboard Under Floor.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

You certainly have a lot of work ahead....this is a complete restore for sure.

WhyallaTim

Cadet

Some more photos for prosperity and interest. I had already typed this reply twice, and was going to give a short version. Then I remembered MS Word.
Emptied the most for the fuel from the fuel tank. Have enough fuel to mow a football oval (field) and then some.
Have some good weather in the next couple of days and hope to give the boat a big push.
Does anyone have any information on the type of wood that can be used for stingers. I have read through a number of other threads and have read about pressure treated timber (PTT). I spoke to my local timber merchant here In Australia and he mentioned PTT ?pinus radiata? that is used for housing construction. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Dizzy.jpg
    Dizzy.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Trailer Brakes.jpg
    Trailer Brakes.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2 Stroke Mixer.jpg
    2 Stroke Mixer.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Don't Cut The Red.jpg
    Don't Cut The Red.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Winch.jpg
    Winch.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 0

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I see you have Merc AutoBlend (known to boating mechanics as AutoBlow). You need to remove that system and just mix the gas and oil. The newer oil blending systems work quite well, but those were know to go and take the powerhead with them.

Odd rig for the trailer tongue, huh?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You certainly have your work cut out for you.

Let us know how you progress.

WhyallaTim

Cadet

Morning All,

I have been trawling through the various threads on stringer replacement and have come across a product called seacast.

QUESTION: Has anyone done a stringer replacement with seacast? What is the weight difference to timber?

I can leave the f/g casings in place and pour the seacast into the casings.

I like the idea of no wood below the floor. Any info or links would be appreciated

Other threads I have started:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=466882
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=465646

The trailer hitch is fairly standard for Australia. Basically, any trailer with a GVM greater than 1500kgs (3000lbs) approx must be braked. The brakes are activated when the vehicle brakes are employed. They are not electric but rather hydraulic. A piston is pushed into the cylinder that activates the brake drums on the trailer. I would suggest that they cosmetic at this stage. I have never had a trailer or met anyone that has had this system that have worked effectively. They are similar to a car braking system.

Tim

WhyallaTim

Cadet

Thanks Woodonglass. Thats exactly what I was after. A couple of questions.

The stringers that I will be doing are taller. Seacast site mentioned roven woving to be placed in first and then the seacast. Any thoughts?

Anyone have any thoughts about drainage holes through the stringers? I have a bilge pump below deck.

Are there any other products other than wood that can be used for the floor?

Thanks

Tim

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You should always make allowances for water to get to the bilge.

WhyallaTim

Cadet

More questions, :facepalm:

Having looked at mick110's thread on stringer replacement and done some some further investigation, would pouring seacast into hollowed out existing fibreglass stringer casings allow the seacast to come into direct contact with the hull and thus create solid points along the hull increasing the risk of hull cracking? Is there something that can be placed in the bottom of the casing prior to the seacast that would eliminate the problem.

I have read that wood stringers should be bedded on "peanut butter" with approx. 1/4 to 1/8" gap to the hull. Is the "PB" placed in dollops or a line along the length of the stringer?

Any answers or thread links would be appreciated

Tim

WhyallaTim

Cadet

Questions

I have decided that sea-cast is nt for me. Back to wood. What types on Amercian Wood would be used for stringers, ( I can translate to Aust.) Do not be afraid to comment, it's all a learning curve. PLEASE.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Questions

I have decided that sea-cast is nt for me. Back to wood. What types on Amercian Wood would be used for stringers, ( I can translate to Aust.) Do not be afraid to comment, it's all a learning curve. PLEASE.

Plywood is the best for that, marine grade being the best, but many have used exterior grade plywood also.

Bed the stringers the entire length with the Penut Butter mixture.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, Ext. Grade Plywood like they use to Roof Houses. You could also bed your stringers using a Polyurethane Adhesive that remains flexible when cured. In the states we have this...
21KjOhjLo0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

PL Premium Construction Adhesive

Urethane-based. Nontoxic, nonflammable/noncombustible. Gives off no fumes and is environmentally safer than other conventional adhesives. Securely bonds and is compatible with all building materials. Bonds can be made in temperatures ranging from 0 to 400 F. Material may be repositioned up to 1 hour without losing strength. Tested 3 times stronger than conventional adhesives and provides twice as much coverage as conventional adhesives. May be used inside or outside. 10 to 12 hour cure time. Exceeds VOC compliance regulations, exceeds glued subfloor and construction code AFGl-01, FHA bulletin UM-60, ASTMC557, and ASTM3498. Workable yield of adhesive per 10.2 oz. cartridge is 30´.