Used board for beginner?

My son is 14, about 140 lbs, and very athletic. He learned to ski this summer, has been learning some tricks on a knee board, and now wants to try his hand at wake-boarding. What should I look for in a beginner's board for him? (We're going the craigslist route, NOT going to spend the $$$ for a new board for a beginner.)

thanks

Uraijit

Banned
Re: Used board for beginner?

You can learn to ride on virtually ANY wakeboard. Once you start getting into throwing tricks, that's when the size and style start to matter. Just get him something that fits him for now. Once he gets comfortable with basic carving and basic jumps and surface tricks, then you can focus more on getting him a board that will fit those specific needs.

My $0.02.

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with the Jit here.
I would just look into anything in the 135-139cm range.
Craigslist is a great place to look as well.

Don't know where you are posting from, but here there are board and biding combos all over the place in the listing for Orlando that sit in the $150 range.
I actually just bought my wife a board for her to learn on. A brand new (Only been ridden once) Hyperlite Fluid 137 w/ Hyperlite Spin bindings. We paid $150 for that.

Really, anything simple will get him up and being pulled by the boat. The board really only starts to take affect when you get really serious into the sport. Even the board I ride, I don't feel I can get its full potentail out of since my boat isn't made specifically for the sport, but I got mine at a good price as well, so...

One place to do research at is Wakeworld.com.
As I was looking up boards for my wife, I would simply pull the info for them from there and that is how we came to the decision for the one we did.

Hope this helps and hope he gets up and moving. Honestly,the sport is kind of addictive once you start getting into it, so be ready to take him out all the time.

Last edited:

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, what craiglist were you apart of?
I can kind of browse it and see I notice a good one over there and post back about it.