Never Had a Tin Boat...Should I???? 1975 StarCraft

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ok, Guys, At the risk of suffering the WRATH of my Wife, Since I have'nt EVEN finished MY FLAMINGO Fiberglass project, my local CL listing came up with this beauty. She's a 1975 15 foot aluminum Star Craft. The motor is a 1971 Johnson 50HP. The trailer is a Classic Tee Nee brand with fair tires. It has not been in the water or started for the past two years. The transom needs replaced and the seats need to be recovered or replaced also. I can buy it for $350.00

TinBoat.jpg

Never Owned or Worked on a Tin Boat. Should I EVEN think about this or what. I was thinking, or this Price, I could clean her up, get her running and for sure, turn a little profit next Summer. Whatcha think. Deal or No Deal!!!

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Never Had a Tin Boat...Should I???? 1975 StarCraft

Affirmative:)

I'm sure that you can turn a profit at $350 with a little work here and there...if the 50hp runs you are stealing it.:D

That's pretty much an ideal motor for that boat too and the right vintage, even if it doesn't have trim and tilt the motor is not too heavy.

There's always room for one more rig in the Starcraft fleet and I'm sure you'd like to find out just how easy these tin cans are to work on for yourself.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Absolutely, with your extensive experience I'm surprised you even need to ask. You'll have her like new in no time.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

NO! That is an electric shift 50 and if the shift solenoids go you will not be able to find the parts. There is a fairly significant difference between the 15 and 16 foot boats.

Sorry but I would let that pass

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, but IT"S ALUMINUM!!!!! WHAT DO YOU DO IF IT GETS A HOLE IN IT???

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

LMAO! Good ONE!!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yes! Next question?
:D

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send us some pictures when its in the driveway! :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Jas,
You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO prejudiced you don't get to vote. You can't even spell Fiberglass!!!!:eek:

Huron Angler

Admiral

OK so Bob is correct about the motor I'm sure...so maybe it would fetch enough parted out to cover the cost for gluvit, paint, and some leftover for a non-electric shift 50hp? :)

I agree that the 16 footers are bigger in every dimension, especially freeboard...but that would still be a sweet little project:D

Jason can spell but facetiously calls them "glassers" so he doesn't get too attached to them prior to butchering them, like when you don't want to get too friendly with the prize hog before it becomes bacon;)

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I want to see it too. "you got pics". Lol.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah I just realized that Johnson is just like My Evinrude on my "Glasser" in that it's an Electric Shifter. Don't know if I want to tackle another one of those. I'm starting to get cold feet BUT.... I'm still gunna go take a look tomorrow.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yeah I just realized that Johnson is just like My Evinrude on my "Glasser" in that it's an Electric Shifter. Don't know if I want to tackle another one of those. I'm starting to get cold feet BUT.... I'm still gunna go take a look tomorrow.

Just what we need....... another tin boat owner. :facepalm:
Use gluvit.....
no pressure treated.......
exterior or marine grade (who care's !!!!) :rolleyes:
Epoxy or fiberglass :confused:
Zinc Chromate or etching primer......
Rusto or awl grip......
OMG don't forget the foam ....2 part or sheets
Rivet's look them up on google.....
Oh yeah where are the pictures...... :p

Yup, you started it!!! :D:D

Woodonglass you are a troublemaker!!!!!

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jas,
You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO prejudiced you don't get to vote. You can't even spell Fiberglass!!!!:eek:

LOL, I think its spelled................ I - T - C - H - Y. How did I do?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I wondered how long it would take for the BIG MAN of TIN BOATS to CHIME in. Thanks Bob!!!!

Woodonglass you are a troublemaker!!!!!

Yeah, but my Mother LOVES me!! Well she used to until I joined this forum!!! Now I ain't to sure.:confused: Hey How do you keep Ice Boats from melting in the summer time???? Are the Hulls self Sealing in Arctic water??

I never figured that one out:rolleyes:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

There are no rules in the iboats or Starmada bylaws that state you must keep the motor that comes with the boat you buy, and yes I checked.

Check it out wood...

I sold the Chrysler off my Jet for $150. It had a broken motor mount, it didn't run, and it was the dead of winter.

So, buy the rig, bring it home, put the Johnson up on clist, sell it (you'll get way more for it than what I got for mine), free boat! And a Starcraft at that!:)

Easy as pie!

Just what we need....... another tin boat owner. :facepalm:
Use gluvit.....
no pressure treated.......
exterior or marine grade (who care's !!!!) :rolleyes:
Epoxy or fiberglass :confused:
Zinc Chromate or etching primer......
Rusto or awl grip......
OMG don't forget the foam ....2 part or sheets
Rivet's look them up on google.....

And look, Bob has your whole rebuild thread summed up right there ^^^^.

So really, I guess we are just waiting on your maiden voyage video buddy!:D:D

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Ice boats are 1975, 15' Starcrafts with 50 hp johnsons on them. In the summer they're just tinny's, then they refreeze in the winter, but shhhhhh it's a secret.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Now I understand why all those Northern guys have Tinny's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!