Hull Patch Suggestions

shields88

Recruit
Hey guys, new member here with a question...

I am currently rebuilding a 1966 Larson All-American 166. While cutting out some fiberglass to get to some rotten wood at the bow I ran my skill saw at little too deep. I now have a 1.5 inch gap in the hull right where there is a groove. I was thinking of mixing some house insulation with epoxy and plugging the hole on the inside and using some fiberglass cloth and epoxy on the outside. Will this be enough to insure there are no leaks?

Thank you,
Michael

Attachments

• hole1.jpg
    hole1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 0
  • hole2.jpg
    hole2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 0

shields88

Recruit
Re: Hull Patch Suggestions

The hole is directly below the steering wheel area.

I understand applying heavy glass cloth on the inside would be best, however I have to deal with a groove from the saw that runs about 2 feet. I thought filling the hole sounded better than grinding the whole area very thin.

Michael

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The cut is no big deal. I assume that since you're cutting out a bunch of rotten wood that you're going to be doing a lot more glassing in the inside before too long. Just wait and cover the cut when you're glassing in the stringers, no need for extra steps. grind the area a little more and add an extra layer of glass or two to build it back up. You can thicken the epoxy (you'll need to do this during the rest of the project) and fill the cut from the outside then sand it down and paint the area.

shields88

Recruit

The bottom of the inside is made up of hollow formed fiberglass stringers. The only wood in them are 1/4 plywood at the top which I was planning on leaving in and just adding some additional support for the floor.

Picture of bottom of inside attached.

Michael

Attachments

• stringers.jpg
    stringers.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The repair is the same either way, just grind the inside, glass over it, then fill it from outside. Marine Tex will work to fill it if you don't need to use any thickened resin for the rest of your project.

rc3477

Cadet

I would suggest to do exactly what everyone else has posted. I had a good size damaged portion. Glassed over with mat, then filled from the outside using thickened epoxy. I like it better than marine tex for the filling part. Then covered it over with marine tex or a below waterline filler for a smooth finish.