Merc #1 LU shift cable

JasonB

Lieutenant
Ok, I have successfully replaced my Gimbal Ring, an brilliant me decided that since the shift cable was starting to show its age. No problem, I'll pop a new one in there while the ring and bellhousing is apart...No problem....<br /><br />Last night I got the drive back on (yes, the allen head screw is snu, but not tight). Shifting was flawless when operating the cable by hand, but when I attached everything to the shift plate, the only thing that worked right is neutral... I seems like there is slack in the cable as it would only shift far enough to ratchet, but not lock the prop. The slack is like the core moving around in the cable. Where did I go wrong?

highaltitude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Merc #1 LU shift cable

is it possible the roller was not in the shift cable slide when the drive was installed?

qystan

Petty Officer 1st Class

The adjustment is a real pain. Took me quite a while to get it right, and its still slightly off for the reverse. The procedure described in the manual is correct but is a bit fuzzy and the cables freeplay is a killer.<br /><br />1. Set the drive in forward by pushing in on the cable. Lock the prop, use a bungee and wind it to keep a constant anti-cw twist on the prop.<br />2. Set the control box in full forward-FULL forward.<br />3. Set the lower cable barrel end pin to the lowest position. <br />4. Adjust the lower cable barrel and cable end to 6 inches. The bit about turning the barrel nut 4 turns to increase the distance needs to be experimented. I found that it should not be done on mine, it ends up exactly like our case.<br />5. Install the lower caable to the shift plate.<br />6. Install the upper cable, while adjusting the barrel nut, take up slack by keeping slight a pull tension on the cable end. <br />7. The upper cable should fit with the plate shifter arm in the full forward gear position.<br />8. If reverse is a problem, adjust the lower cable end pin position. I had to move it to the max up position.<br /><br />In my case, I had to make further tweaks to the further separate upper cable barrel and eye positions.<br /><br />Good luck.

JasonB

Lieutenant

Thanks Qystan. I got this fixed last night and used the method you gust described with a twist. I put everything in forward, tested, then tried reverse. I made adjustments until forward, neutral, and reverse locked in and had the same ratcheting feel. I then fired up the engine and all seemed well. It engages and disengages as it should. Definetly more art than science.