Tips/Tricks for removing 3.0 Starter?

MH9371B

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1995 Merc. 3.0LX engine and I want to remove the starter. I went to start up the boat for the first time this season, and all I get is a "whirring" noise from the starter and it isn't engaging the flywheel at all.

I know that there are two 9/16" bolts that go up from the bottom. Does anyone have a tip or trick to getting these things out? It seems like a job for a contortionist, as I do not have the means to pull the entire engine out. I tried for an hour last night and finally gave up.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Tips/Tricks for removing 3.0 Starter?

Getting to the starter bolts or the cables changes depending on how the boat manufacturer designed the boat. Sometimes you have to pull the engine, other times you may be able to remove seats and engine surrounds off to gain access.
you have to do whatever it takes to get to yours.

MH9371B

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Don. This is a 1995 Sea Ray 195 Bowrider. I replaced the carpet in this boat once and had to remove the seats and everything around the engine compartment in the back. I will try that.

MH9371B

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don, just wanted to say thanks for the tip. Once I removed the seats/engine cover, I was able to get to the bolts.

Junkiexp

Seaman Apprentice

Ive used this one :

816.jpg

But it was a real pita since there is not much space to work under the motor.

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had an old tri-hull that I had to replace the starter on and couldn't get a bight on the bolt head due to space constraints. Also, there wasn't enough roof for a wrench, not even a stubby. After much frustration, I took an old 9/16" socket and put it in a pair of needle nose visegrips and ground it down to fit in the space. It worked very well and have used the same socket a few times to help some buddies change theirs.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Depending on engine compartment confinements it can be a pain but there is always a way just have to think outside the box or use an assortment of swivels and extensions such as in my case.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Depending on engine compartment confinements it can be a pain but there is always a way just have to think outside the box or use an assortment of swivels and extensions such as in my case.

Read his reply, he already got it off.

Don, just wanted to say thanks for the tip. Once I removed the seats/engine cover, I was able to get to the bolts.