74 50hp Johnson Joe Reeves Timing

jsalz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Completely disasembled carbs, soaked overnight rebuilt with new kits according to sticky in Q&A. Adjusted floats so they are ever so slightly higher than parallel to bowl at one end.
All new fuel lines.
Also installed new ignition coil.
Did Joe Reeves Link and Sync and found that timing was at 23deg. According to Joe's method, I adjusted to get 15deg (19-4).
Went through all of this because of no RPM's at WOT.
Put boat in water to test and it is bogging even worse than before when trying to get WOT.
Not overheating. Compression 130,125. Squeezing primer does nothing while running under load.
Did spark test on both plugs and jumped a 1/4" gap nicely.
At one time, motor rev'd high at WOT but only briefly and inconsistenly.
I did notice a slight click when new inlet needle came off of inlet seat. Put a drop of light weight oil on seat and click went away.
Almost ready to give up, unless someone has a great suggestion.

jsalz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 74 50hp Johnson Joe Reeves Timing

I checked the prop for fishing line, weeds and to see if its spun. Everything is OK. I was wondering how the motor was running previously with the timing being so far out. I didn't think a new ignition coil and carb rebuild would change the timing. Maybe I'll put it back to where it was?

jsalz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, if I have the roller lined up to cam properly, should the warm up leaver be acting on the cam and thus the butterflies or should the warm up lever only be affecting the spark advance. I am wondering if the butterflies are opening too early.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Yes , when the throttle moves the timing moves, thats how it works.

If you have the marks lined up like they should be the plates are moving when they should.

jsalz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

5150, Thanks. I realize that when I use the throttle arm on the control box, that the timing leads the throttle until full spark advance. I was wondering specifically, how much should the warm up lever be able to move the throttle. Maybe I have the roller too tight against the cam. If the motor is off and everything is in the home position, should the roller be touching the cam or off of it?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

should be just touching the lower line without putting pressure on it.

jsalz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks 5150

jsalz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As far as the timing goes, is there any reason why the previous owner would advance the spark so far beyond spec?
Maybe to compensate for something? Full spark advance was around 24deg rather than 19.