ignition rewire problems

phone sails

Seaman
i just rewired my ignition from a side mount control box that controled everything as far as the throttle and shift, key switch etc,,and went to a binnacle mount control and dash mount ignition i followed the wiring diagram as closely as possible it is only 6 wires ,,so my question is the starter is engaged as soon as i turn the key instead of waiting till i turn it fully did i do something wrong could it be the ignition itself to be honest i used a ignition that i took off another boat ,,also blowing the main fuse 20a but i think i know were the problem withthat is as i found a frayed ground this mornig could it all be related ,,,

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: ignition rewire problems

You apparently have the ignition switch wired improperly. The terminals on the back of the ignition switch are marked as follows..... the color code of the wire varies in later years but the usual coloring is included here. If your wires are color coded differently, trace them to their component in order to avoid expensive errors.

M - Raised tower like terminal - Kill Circuit - Black/Yellow wire
M - Reg terminal - Ground - Black wire
A - Accessory - Purple wire(s)
S - Starter Solenoid - White wire
C - Choke or Primer Solenoid - Purple/White wire
B - Battery Voltage - Red wire

If your wires differ in color, let me know what those colors are.

phone sails

Seaman

You apparently have the ignition switch wired improperly. The terminals on the back of the ignition switch are marked as follows..... the color code of the wire varies in later years but the usual coloring is included here. If your wires are color coded differently, trace them to their component in order to avoid expensive errors.

M - Raised tower like terminal - Kill Circuit - Black/Yellow wire
M - Reg terminal - Ground - Black wire
A - Accessory - Purple wire(s)
S - Starter Solenoid - White wire
C - Choke or Primer Solenoid - Purple/White wire
B - Battery Voltage - Red wire

If your wires differ in color, let me know what those colors are.

those are the colors ,,when you say starter solenoid is that the one that ties into the nuETRAL saftey wire that comes out of the control box,,now i did not pay attention to the two different " M" ON THE IGNITION

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

my binacle control switch doesnt have a white wire and my "black" wire is actually black with a white stripe. post 96 binacle!!!! instead of a white wire the other wire is a yellow with red stripe!! I am pretty sure that goes to the starter or the starting system....

what year control do you have?? and maybe more inmportantly what harness are you connecting to it?

bob

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Hopefully you've corrected the two "M" terminal connections. You DO NOT want any other wire attached to that raised "M" terminal but that Black/Yellow wire.

The starter solenoid wire (In Your Case)... A wire connected to the ignition switch "S" terminal would lead to one terminal of the Neutral Safety switch, the other terminal of the Neutral Safety switch would have the White wire from the Engine/Instrument wiring harness attached to it.

phone sails

Seaman

Hopefully you've corrected the two "M" terminal connections. You DO NOT want any other wire attached to that raised "M" terminal but that Black/Yellow wire.

The starter solenoid wire (In Your Case)... A wire connected to the ignition switch "S" terminal would lead to one terminal of the Neutral Safety switch, the other terminal of the Neutral Safety switch would have the White wire from the Engine/Instrument wiring harness attached to it.

thats correct i have all that wired that way ,I even went out and bought a new switch last nite rewired it and now it doesnt even crank it just blows the main 20 a fuse as soon as i turn it to on ,,I also bougt a clymers shop manuel but as you can probably imagine i am still lost ,,but will not give up ,,,

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Another "throw parts at it" in hopes it works. You need to determine which wires are which. Just going by wire color is obviously not getting you anywhere. In both cases you have something wired wrong. With the first issue, you obviously had the wire that should go to the "S" (solenoid) terminal on the switch connected to the "A" (accessory) terminal. That terminal becomes active when the switch is in the RUN position thus firing the solenoid. In the second case you also have something wired wrong as +12 volts is immediately going to ground thus blowing the fuse. If you don't have or know how to use a multi-tester, then try this:

Look at the starter solenoid. What color wire do you see on the small terminal. That circuit should ultimately end up on the ignition switch "S" terminal via the neutral safety switch.

Look at the primer solenoid: The wire that goes to it should end up back on the "C" (choke/primer) terminal on the switch.

The larger red wire in the harness goes to the "B" (battery) terminal on the switch

The "A" terminal should have only the instrument cluster or accessories attached to it. No engine circuits connect to it.

That leaves the two "M" terminals. NOTHING else goes on those two terminals.

Lastly, the big black wire in the harness (same size as the red) does NOT connect anywhere on the switch. This is the ground for the instruments and any accessories fed from the ignition switch "A" terminal.

phone sails

Seaman

Another "throw parts at it" in hopes it works. You need to determine which wires are which. Just going by wire color is obviously not getting you anywhere. In both cases you have something wired wrong. With the first issue, you obviously had the wire that should go to the "S" (solenoid) terminal on the switch connected to the "A" (accessory) terminal. That terminal becomes active when the switch is in the RUN position thus firing the solenoid. In the second case you also have something wired wrong as +12 volts is immediately going to ground thus blowing the fuse. If you don't have or know how to use a multi-tester, then try this:

Look at the starter solenoid. What color wire do you see on the small terminal. That circuit should ultimately end up on the ignition switch "S" terminal via the neutral safety switch.

Look at the primer solenoid: The wire that goes to it should end up back on the "C" (choke/primer) terminal on the switch.

The larger red wire in the harness goes to the "B" (battery) terminal on the switch

The "A" terminal should have only the instrument cluster or accessories attached to it. No engine circuits connect to it.

That leaves the two "M" terminals. NOTHING else goes on those two terminals.

Lastly, the big black wire in the harness (same size as the red) does NOT connect anywhere on the switch. This is the ground for the instruments and any accessories fed from the ignition switch "A" terminal.

so nothing goes on the two m,what about the black with yellow and the solid black ,,

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

What engine do you have... Year, Hp, Make?

Is the large electrical plug at the engine RED?

If the color of the wires are as I stated above (you say they are), and you have the proper ignition switch (6 terminals marked M raised, M regular, C, A, B, S), you're either connecting a wire wrong or the other end of the wire (some wire) is attached to something it shouldn't be.

phone sails

Seaman

What engine do you have... Year, Hp, Make?

Is the large electrical plug at the engine RED?

If the color of the wires are as I stated above (you say they are), and you have the proper ignition switch (6 terminals marked M raised, M regular, C, A, B, S), you're either connecting a wire wrong or the other end of the wire (some wire) is attached to something it shouldn't be.

it is a 1989 175 hp evinrude ,,,and yes the plug is red ,,and what is crazy is it was running great until i decided to change the key switch location do you think the trim has somthing to do with it or ???,, did i tell you that i bought a new switch last nite and now it just blows the 20 a fuse as soon as turn the key to on ,,i refuse to give up and go back to the old side shifter control box,,,should i take pictures and upload them,,,?? I cant be that dumb can I

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Going back to the old control box would solve nothing...... you would still need to connect wires to the ignition switch. Temporarily unplug the PTT switch if for no other reason, to eliminate it as a possible problem.

Now, carefully check and double check the color coded wires and make sure that they are for sure connected to the letter terminals on the ignition switch as I explained above.

In order to have that 20 ampere power fuse blow as soon as the key is turned on, 12 volts would need to be flowing from the "B" (battery) terminal to a ground. The only other terminal on that ignition switch that would have 12 volts applied to it with the key in the ON position would be the A" terminal. As such I can only assume that you have a ground wire attached to the "A" (accessory) terminal of the ignition switch OR something (some accessory) that is attached to the "A" terminal has a dead short.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I cant help but think this would have been solved if the OP would just answer some of the question the responders have asked of him...

but he just doesnt address many of them at all, even after several return visits.
you switched control styles and you moved the ignition switch off the control!!

you are doing a lot at one time!!!

on the outset, what kind of ignition switch did you buy??

does it have the built in kill switch?

because the side mount had a seperate kill switch off nthe ignition switch!!

I wonder if you have the nuetral safety switch hooked up even...not that it matters to this more pressing matter

what colors are your wires that you took off the old switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what brand iginition switch did you buy? part number?

can you take a picture of the back of your switch...

some ignition switches have push on connections, some have screw on

bob

phone sails

Seaman

Going back to the old control box would solve nothing...... you would still need to connect wires to the ignition switch. Temporarily unplug the PTT switch if for no other reason, to eliminate it as a possible problem.

Now, carefully check and double check the color coded wires and make sure that they are for sure connected to the letter terminals on the ignition switch as I explained above.

In order to have that 20 ampere power fuse blow as soon as the key is turned on, 12 volts would need to be flowing from the "B" (battery) terminal to a ground. The only other terminal on that ignition switch that would have 12 volts applied to it with the key in the ON position would be the A" terminal. As such I can only assume that you have a ground wire attached to the "A" (accessory) terminal of the ignition switch OR something (some accessory) that is attached to the "A" terminal has a dead short.

THANK YOU ,, I GOT IT ,,ITS GREAT TO SEE PEOPLE HELPING PEOPLE i BELIEVE YOUR PERSISTENCE IN LETTING ME KNOW THAT I MUST HAVE WIRED THEM WRONG SAVED ME SOME MONEY AND TIME ,,i WENT BACK TO WERE I MADE THE SPLICES AND THATS WHEN I NOTICED THAT I CONFUSED THE NEGATIVE WITH THE CHOKE PRIMER SO I GUESS WHEN I WAS PUSHING IN THE KEY IT WAS GROUNDING OUT THE CHOKE PRIMER,,,THUS BLOWING THE 20A FUSE ,,,i AM GLAD I DID TRACE ALL THE WIRES BACK ALSO SINCE I FOUND A GROUND ALSO THAT WAS BEGINNING TO FRAY ,,,SHE CRANKED RITE ON AND OFF AND AS YOU CAN IMAGINE MY CHEEKS HURT FROM SMILING,,JOE REEVES AND SILVERTIP ARE GREAT PEOPLE,,,THANKS