Aristocraft 19 windshield replacement

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would like to insert a new middle sliding piece in the windshield. What will I need to do? I may also replace the side pieces with some used better than mine pieces. I actually got another whole windshield from a A18 being scrapped.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Aristocraft 19 windshield replacement

I would like to insert a new middle sliding piece in the windshield. What will I need to do?
i removed the starboard side window track of the main windshield. this allowed me to remove the center panel.
got me a new piece of coke bottle green #2111(? i think that's the number)plexiglass. used marinetex, flexset i think it's called to glue the rails to the new window after cleaning them up. put the window back in and used silicon on the main window frame that i'd removed.
Aristocraft said use silicon for applying the rails to the plexiglass, but i got a bum batch of silicon i guess and that didn't work for me, except for the main window side track. which don't take much abuse.
this might help too.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=413088 seems like i had more to say about it. but can't remember where to look at. might have been about gluing the rails to the plexi. i know it gave me the blues... nothing really sticks to plexiglass... except for epoxy best i read..

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was able to remove the center window track on the 18 windshield and it was siliconed in and came apart easily. The one on the 19 must be original and it won't come apart easily or even with a good bit of pounding with a rubber hammer. I will try to apply heat. any other suggestions? And I want to replace the left side plex, how does it come out?

ziggy

Admiral

The one on the 19 must be original and it won't come apart easily or even with a good bit of pounding with a rubber hammer. I will try to apply heat. any other suggestions?
if your referring to removing the track for the center panel on the main windshield. i think i used a razor blade to get it free. between the windshield and the track.
And I want to replace the left side plex, how does it come out?
sorry, can't help ya with this. i've not had mine out. only thing i can say is i think there's plastic wing nuts on the under side of the deck that the bottom bracket of the main windshield fits into. i don't know though, in thinking about it. ya might not even have to take that part off. i'd think the top rail of the main windshield would have to go though.. (all speculation on my part)

take some pics of your efforts and post them up so others (like me, ;))can be hip when our time comes... please... :)

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMG_0167.jpg

this is what holds the top of the windshield frame in place, a flat angled piece with allen screws to hold it in. The windshield is held in by screws that slide in the groove and go thru the fiberglass. I am having trouble getting the allen screws out, probable corroded steel screws into aluminum. tried pb blaster and will try heat next. it is good I have an extra windshield to learn on. looks like to do this on the boat you would have to drill some holes to access the bottom allen screw or pull the windshield. I will pull mine as it is loose anyway, the screws are rusted. any suggestions on getting allen screws out?

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Drill baby Drill