splashwell remodel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I have a question for anybody out there willing to answer this. as you look at the picture there are 2 seats next to the splashwell I would like to cut out this area (along the back of the seats) including part of the splashwell. I am then thinking of putting a bench seat in this area for more seating. also it would give me more access to the bilge area and battery and a better livewell access as well. please tell me what you think. i realize I will need to glass in to build up the splashwell. a rough measurement will give me about a 16 in deep (front to back) splashwell. I really like the idea as i have not seen to many outboards with seating next to the splashwell like this.

Attachments

• DSCN0007.jpg
    DSCN0007.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 9

drewpster

Commander
Re: splashwell remodel?

Seems feasable. One concern would be taking away from the functions of the splashwell. It is there as part of the boats structure so whatever you take away you will have to put back. It also catches and directs water away from the inside of the boat if a swell splashes over the transom. My tri hull sloshes quite a bit of water in to the splashwell if I come off the throttle abruptly when at speed. I have also had wake come over a time or two. It is not as much a concern when boating in smaller lakes, but offshore or in a larger rolling lake, it could become a problem.
I have also had my trihull in salt water on occasion. In slight seas water will slosh in the splashwell. I guess it could work, but I would have to address these concerns before cutting.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks drewps i believe it should be ok I plan on glassing in the area between the seat backs up to the top. thus making a deeper splashwell
top to bottom just not as deep front to back I then plan on glassing it across and about 4 to 6 inches down to look similar to yours. to be able
to have an open area on the deck. this boat will never see the sea. nor am i in very large lakes, the largest is about 8400 sq.acres. I think this will
give me quite a bit more room in the rear of the boat.
I want to put bench seating like the new ski boats being bench all the way around with an
open middle.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

buddy,,,,it depends on how far the motor sticks forward.....

you dont want babes back there getting there head whacked by a throttle cable every time you turn the boat sharp to pick up a skier.

but i would say go for it......just cut out the splash well area,,,,leave the jumps there, and glass in a board between the jumps for the seat and back.......then you can make a pretty little splash well area off the back rest.

you will also have storage under the seats......

jonesg

Admiral

The splashwell will be weakened if you remove the top flange.
Considering the pic shows it full of snow, do you really want couches, they usually store those boats in garages.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thank you for the replies I still have some time to think about it. I am almost ready to get stringers in
I want to put the cap back on for a dry fit and take a look at what my possibilities are. but I do believe
I will cut down the splashwell one way or the other to make more room and to have more storage. I
will let you all know what I decide when I get to that point maybe a month or so. thank you for all your help
oops!, jones and drewps.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

My suggestion is to leave it as is, and build a Sunpad over the top of the doghouse & seats, put the bench in front of the splashwell...that way you're not messing with the structure of the boat.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if i build a sunpad then i lose allot of space. this will be used for skiing and fishing mainly fishing.
It is only a 17 ft. boat somaking a sunpad with a seat in front would make the seating area really small.
thanks for the thought though.

jonesg

Admiral

OK, sunpad isn't a bad idea actually.

But what if you chop off the fwd flange that is parallel to the transom and glass it back INSIDE the splashwell, you gain a bit of room and retain integrity of the splashwell. I built my splashwell and put the flange inside the well, it serves as a deflector to keep water from going over the top into the boat and gives a place to step.
Originally I had no splashwell at all.
They don't do this on glass boats because it complicates the mold, it would require a multi part mold whereas the well you have will pop right out of a single peice mold.

If you decide to shorten the well, make sure theres room for the outboard hood at full tilt.
The side flanges will need reinforcing too, someone is sure to step on them and they will crack without the full flange for support.

See what happens when you change one little thing.;)

Attachments

• splashwell.jpg
    splashwell.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 5
  • nosplashwell.jpg
    nosplashwell.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 5

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok here is hopefully what i am trying to do excuse the paint drawing
I am horrible at doing that. the yellow is the proposed new splashwell wall
(at a bit of an angle) the green is the bench seat with removable back
so during transport it will be removed (so the engine can tilt into the splashwell)
the bench base will then hinge forward to give total access to the underside of the
seats as well as the splashwell area. I know this is confusing but i believe it will work.
the second pic. hopefully helps better. from the blue line and below will all be open with
with new splashwell design with bench seating.

Attachments

• THE BOAT 004.jpg
    THE BOAT 004.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 4
  • THE BOAT 003.jpg
    THE BOAT 003.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

jonesg

Admiral

ok here is hopefully what i am trying to do excuse the paint drawing
I am horrible at doing that. the yellow is the proposed new splashwell wall
(at a bit of an angle) the green is the bench seat with removable back
so during transport it will be removed (so the engine can tilt into the splashwell)
the bench base will then hinge forward to give total access to the underside of the
seats as well as the splashwell area. I know this is confusing but i believe it will work.
the second pic. hopefully helps better. from the blue line and below will all be open with
with new splashwell design with bench seating.

If the backsplash is going to be moveable it needs to be very firmly attached a 50 lb wave carries a lot of force. And it should be fairly well sealed.
It can obviously be done, thats what makes it fun.
Newer boats with open transom have a drop in board that slides in from the top into a channel that would be the strongest ez way. But they are self bailing decks with minimal furniture comfort.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I understand what you are saying jones but the only part that is removable will be the backrest of the bench seat. The spashwell will be permanently glassed in only with a boxed "V" cut out for the engine when in transport.

jonesg

Admiral

Taking a second look at the pics...you are planning to keep the side boxes.
If the two side boxes keep it rigid and the bench backrest is mounted solid when upright, it will work.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok the best way I can describe it is to have you look at the end of drewpsters thread . I would like the back of mine to look like his (glass all the way across w/ small dip in middle for engine during transport)
then i will build a bench seat frame in front of that area for seating but with a backrest that is removeable ( for transport with engine up) and the seat base hinged to gain access to batteries and livewell.
I will be able to mount the backrest solidly but removeable as well. hope this helps.the jump seats in there now will be removed as well just the back rest will remain.i believe i can cut all this out repair the
splashwell and keep it rigid for strength.most of the strength seems to come from on top of the seat back rest. i will post a pic with the area that i want to cut out blacked out. the yellow is the proposed
new splashwell.

Attachments

• THE BOAT 002.JPG
    THE BOAT 002.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 1

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dallen7, My boat is a small 14' runabout. When I rebuilt my transom, I raised it 2" and reduced the depth of my splashwell. I cut about 4" out of it. I wanted easier access to my engines and a little more deck space for fishing/swimming. Just to play it safe, I installed a bilge pump for a backup. I think your idea will work, just make sure it's solid. Good Luck

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've done a lot of re-arranging to get my splashwell to where I want it, and the one piece of advice I have is that you should triple check clearance for your outboard in the up position, especially throttle/ shifter cables etc. I don't have any current pictures of it right now, but here are two that show the general construction.
Before fiberglass:
backhatchmockup2.jpg

after:
Grippattern-TopView.jpg

jonesg

Admiral

ok the best way I can describe it is to have you look at the end of drewpsters thread . I would like the back of mine to look like his (glass all the way across w/ small dip in middle for engine during transport)
then i will build a bench seat frame in front of that area for seating but with a backrest that is removeable ( for transport with engine up) and the seat base hinged to gain access to batteries and livewell.
I will be able to mount the backrest solidly but removeable as well. hope this helps.the jump seats in there now will be removed as well just the back rest will remain.i believe i can cut all this out repair the
splashwell and keep it rigid for strength.most of the strength seems to come from on top of the seat back rest. i will post a pic with the area that i want to cut out blacked out. the yellow is the proposed
new splashwell.

Yes, that would work for me.
Originally my boat had a similar design but it was long gone when I got the boat and I had no idea what it should look like.
After I built and installed the splashwell I came across an original sales brochure, not a clear pic of the splashwell but they did have some sort of arrangement. There are no cuts on my interior glass work so it was removeable with clips on each side.

Attachments

• chrysler.jpg
    chrysler.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Volvo059.jpg
    Volvo059.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 3

drewpster

Commander

It seems to me you would need to rebuild the coaming in this area to support the side boxes and the cap. The transom and the deck will support the hull to a point, but the cap supports the upper hull sides. I would form a ridged structure from hull side to hull side just forward of the side boxes instead of only filling the area between them. Then bolt the seat back to it and extend it all the way to the deck. That way you can still remove the seat if needed and it will serve as added support.

Bare in mind that you will need to ventilate any area you close off. You may even want to add a fan.

see attached

View attachment 85941

Attachments

• THE%20BOAT%20002.jpg
    THE%20BOAT%20002.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok hope this works. in brown is a piece of solid wood most likely 1/4 all glassed all the way across. the blue and green are the upholsterd seats. the backrest being removable. The base being hinged as to allow access to the underside of the rear caps. those having 2 batteries on one side and a livewell on the other. I will use a support system for the bench seating that allows the front face ( that will be carpeted) to not touch the deck allowing for drainage as well as ventilation of the bilge area. I believe this will work. the batteries will be up under the rear cap more than the seats the livewell will be under both the cap and the seat with an access door to the livewell under the seat. the rest will be for storage.

Attachments

• THE BOAT 003.jpg
    THE BOAT 003.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1

decie

Cadet
Hi Mate
How did you go with the project. My boat is almost exactly the same and i want to modify the splashwell as you have suggested. Could you let me know how you went and any issues that arose from the adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.