88 spl Johnson motor impellar

VicNks

Recruit
I noticed my stream from my impellar or water pump isn't as strong as last year and was wondering how hard it would be to change myself . I took out all the bolts " 7 " and my outdrive only came down about a inch at best . Is there something I be looking for , can someone give me some tips or give me a description on how to change this part myself ? Thanks !

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 88 spl Johnson motor impellar

You need to disconnect the shift rod which is under the carburetors.

Put a couple of the lower unit bolts back in place.

Probably similar to my Johnson 88 SPL. Does the picture look like your motor?

On the controls linkage side, the cable that connects to the shift arm (Red Arrow).

Need to disconnect the cable from the arm (Green Arrow).
Low on the arm is a quick release pin (Yellow Arrow). Pull that out.
Push the arm inward and twist, this will release the shifter arm pin from the top of the shift rod. You know when it has released when the shift arm flops back and forth freely.

To reconnect, make sure the top of the shift rod is oriented correctly before reinstalling lower unit. Sometimes I use a straightened coat hanger with a small hook on the end to help align the shift rod once the lower is installed. Twist and pull outward (need to fish around and watch with a flash light) on the shifter arm until it engages the shift rod hole with the pin. Reinstall the quick connect clip and hook the cable back up.

Attachments

• shifter1.JPG
    shifter1.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 0

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

When you get the new impeller installed, see if the telltale has a better stream. If the telltale nozzle gets slightly plugged, it won't show a good stream. It is not unusual for the nozzle to get some debris stuck in it. You can clean the telltale line and cowling nozzle by hand if it's a problem.

VicNks

Recruit

Thanks Guys , you've all been a tremendous help . On to the next stage ! Thanks again .