Tach help?

Dolfan0925

Seaman
Early to mid 80's 90hp Mercury inline 6 OB.

Seems like the previous owner switched motors, and possibly never rewired the tach for the new motor, or pretty much anything else. Because my boat is setup just like this guy's:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=460812

My pretty uneducated guess. But the tach does nothing right now. However there is a grey wire that sounds like the wire that makes it work, that's connected to nothing.

SANY0003-1.jpg

SANY0004-1.jpg

Would this be the problem with the tach?

Also, is this the wire I'm needing to make sure is connected to the tach?

whichwire.jpg

Thx.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Tach help?

Without knowing the model of control (throttle) set you have, it's hard to tell. If you hang over the gunwale with your head on the deck and look down (now up) your nose, you should be able to see the model plate on the bottom of the control set.

Odds are good that's the harness you need. Supplies key'd power, tach, alarm, and trim signals to the dash.

Dolfan0925

Seaman

Without knowing the model of control (throttle) set you have, it's hard to tell. If you hang over the gunwale with your head on the deck and look down (now up) your nose, you should be able to see the model plate on the bottom of the control set.

Odds are good that's the harness you need. Supplies key'd power, tach, alarm, and trim signals to the dash.

Only thing I could find was "3262" stamped on the aft side just under the key. Also says Quicksilver on the side.

Dolfan0925

Seaman

SANY0004-1.jpg

The black plug thing on the back of the tach. How is that removed? It looks just jammed in there.Three holes, each hole is attached to a machine screw stud coming out of the tach. The wires are going in the other end. I can't figure out how to remove the plug, or remove the wires. Any idea? I kinda want to beat it to death.

Looiks just like the one in this iimage..

Tach%20back.JPG

carholme

Rear Admiral