How to lift a 1996 88 Special without power/wiring?

Sorexcuse

Cadet
Guys -

I'm really slow, have asked this before and gotten a response but couldn't figure it out so am adding photos.

It's a 1996 Evinrude 88 special (Model E88TSLEDR) that I've put on the boat but have not yet wired. Need to move it into a garage that I have about 10 miles away (snow in Syracuse) to work on it. Can someone tell me what to do, based on the photos, to lift it? Thanks in advance.

IMG_6738.jpg

IMG_6739.jpg

Johndhii

Seaman
Re: How to lift a 1996 88 Special without power/wiring?

Only thing I can offer as advice would be either a chainlift, or even an engine hoist. If you dont have access I know that many auto parts stores may rent one for relatively inexpensive amounts.

Sorexcuse

Cadet

Only thing I can offer as advice would be either a chainlift, or even an engine hoist. If you dont have access I know that many auto parts stores may rent one for relatively inexpensive amounts.

Sorry, that's my mistake in the way I phrased the question. Have a chain fall, what I need to do though is tilt the engine so that it will not drag on the ground when I tow the boat. i.e. do what the power trim will do once I get it hooked up.

Thank you.

Rellik546

Petty Officer 1st Class

in the first photo there is a bar with a slot in it, above the plate that has 6 holes drilled in it in an arch. if u lift the motor trim wise, not vertically, once u get high enough u should be able to push the little bar forward, or backward to lock the motor into place i believe its called the trailer trim tab. i also believe its on all outboards regardless of power trim or not. i could be wrong my my old ob with power trim had one.

Johndhii

Seaman

The other option would be to lift it manually and use a transom saver to keep it up

AlTn

Commander

Can you gain enough clearance by removing the lower unit?

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is theer a trailering lock? Owners manual would show where. My 87 50hp has i on he right side,raise the motor as hi has you can, push trailering lock into position, and let the motor back down easy. It's not as good as a transom saver, but will work in a pinch.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You can also find the blue/green wires coming from the t/t mtr, use a battery and some jumper wires and put pos to blue and green to neg . If the trim mtr is working this should do it. Otherwise there's a manual release valve on the stern bracket.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

In case you want to move the engine manually: The starboard clamp bracket (your picture #2) should have a manual release valve inside one of the casting holes. You can slightly unscrew that valve, releasing the power trim system pressure. You can then slowly, pull the engine upward. (not an easy task in cold weather.) Once you get the engine high enough, screw that release screw back in and it will hold at that position. I'd probably get it high enough to activate the transom lock in the full up position.

Sorexcuse

Cadet

All -

Thank you for the help, with your direction was able to find the release valve and open it up. Engine lifted farily easily. For future reference and in case anyone needs to do the same thing, here is the location:

IMG_6739-1.jpg

phone sails

Seaman

why dont you just jump the trim motor ,you should be able to cut the blue wire put power to it and it will move the motor up ,,,i had the same prob when i bought anothe r motor but didnt wire it up ,,,