Max weight of my axles?

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class
The chart on this page says 1 1/16 in wheel bearing size means the axle is rated somewhere between 1500 and 2000 lbs.

If these axles are 2000 lb axles, I'm set, if not, then I need new axles.

Tire sizes are 12x13.5. Tandom axle, 7" drum brakes on one axle. The boat I'm buying weighs 3000 lbs empty.

Steve

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Max weight of my axles?

you may want to upgrade to 13" tires.unless those are the heavy duty 12s..what is the load rating on the tires??? ...... I think you should be ok..

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

1045 on the tires....I can find new 12" wheels and tires rated at the same.

SparkieBoat

Captain

I think the 13" tires are rated only 100 or so LBS more..would 14" tires fit on your axels?? (will they clear the wheel wells or can you raise your wheel wells?) I would put as big of tires on it as I could and you should be ok..if you notice the tires are wearing uneven like eating all the tread off the inside corner of the tire..then your axels are bending and need to be replaced and upgraded...but with dual axels and 13 or 14" tires you should be fine.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What kind of boat? I/O or outboard. If its an outboard, the weight may not include the engine. It also does not include fuel, coolers, fishing tackle, batteries, anchors, life jackets and all the other stuff that gets dumped into the boat. Don't forget that the axles are carrying the weight of the trailer as well so that weight needs to be figured. i think you are dangerously close to if not overloading the trailer. Does this trailer have a capacity tag somewhere on the frame or tongue. It will specify LOAD CAPACITY or GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) using a specific set of tires inflated to a specific pressure. Only then do you know what you really have.

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

The tires aren't the issue, it's the axles. I've been making some phone calls, and what sucks is there is really no way to know what the rating of these axles are. But more than likely, they are 1500 lb axles.

I'm going to just spend the money and upgrade the axles to torsion axles, 2000 lb axles with disk brakes on one axle and 13" wheels.

I'm getting a 20 ft bowrider with a 350 in it. 2975 empty.

Steve

SparkieBoat

Captain

why not go ahead up to the 2500# axels and 14" tires..I mean the cost should be about the same, and i am into over kill sometimes....and silver mentioned the tag on your trailer...dont forget the frame has limits also.....looks like you will be around 3600# loaded

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

And by selecting torsion axles you now need to know about a "potential" problem when using them on a tandem trailer. NOTE that I said potential!!!!!! These axles do not have the equalizer function that a tandem leaf spring setup has. Consider this -- you drive over a pot hole with one wheel. That wheel drops into the hole which then transfers some of the weight that wheel was carrying to the other wheels. The same thing occurs pulling into a driveway and this has the potential to create a serious overload situation. The first axle to meet the rise of the driveway gets extra loading because the tail of the tow vehicle goes down as the front goes up and over. This forces the tongue of the trailer down thus loading the front axle and unloading the back axle. Then the back of the tow vehicle goes over the drive raising the tongue, unloading the front axle and loading the back axle. See where this is going? Now if that trailer is already at or near the maximum axle capacity, in one trip you can ruin that axle. In my view you would be money ahead by simply installing a pair of 3500# axles which are not much more than the 2000# units and you wouldn't have to change any mounting. Just replace anyworn bushings, bolts, rusty U-bolts etc.

SparkieBoat

Captain

what he just said....also I hate torsion axels they sux...I got one now and will be changing it out with leafy spring axel. piece of crap design if you ask me.

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

I gotta say, I've been reading and reading and reading for days now. I have some people telling me that my axles are just fine, just get new tires. Some tell me that I need to go with 3500# axles, some say 2000# are fine.

Southwest Wheel says that I will be just fine, two 2000# axles. They also said, you really want to be close to the max weight of the axles, otherwise, they will ride really stiff.

I agree, 3600# is probably where I'll be. So why not 4000# instead of 7000#?

As far as going over a speed bump or something like that, they said it's really not an issue. It's an issue if it's prolonged, as in the truck lifted or something where the rear axle is taking most of the load all the time.

I don't know...now you have me second guessing myself again...

Steve

SparkieBoat

Captain

only reason I go towards over kill..is a stiff ride is not really a problem as no one will be in the boat, strap it down good, which you should do any way and it will be fine, and it just seems to me that when you max out stuff it does not last as long or do as good...but I would only go over kill IF I changed the axels...I would put a set of bigger tires and go with it while watching closely for and signs of over loading..

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

So you really think I should keep it how it is, and just see how it goes? I would much rather do that because I'm going over budget if I upgrade the axles.

So, new wheels and tires and bearings and see how it goes?

Unfortunately, I can't upgrade the size because they are 4 bolt pattern. I can find tires rated to 1045 lbs each though, in the 12" size.

I appreciate the help.
Steve

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, just talked to someone else. I think the best option is to get my brakes working, put new 12" wheels and tires and see how it goes.

I'll keep an eye on tire wear and any signs of stress. Problem is, if I need to upgrade, I'll have to go all out.

Again, I appreciate the help. If anyone else has any thoughts, please let me know. I have less than 2 weeks before I have a boat on the trailer.

Steve

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well, just talked to someone else. I think the best option is to get my brakes working, put new 12" wheels and tires and see how it goes.

Steve, I've been following your trailer saga and I can empathize with your predicament. I gotta say, if it was me, I'd get everything on that trailer as-is working properly. Get the highest weight raiting 12" tires you can get (something from that eastern marine link I posted in one of your threads) and go with it. I think the money you'd spend upgrading axles, wheels, brakes, etc etc would be better used towards a new trailer. They cost less than you'd think (especially when you subtract out the aggravation!) Good luck.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The axles have absolutely nothing to do with how the trailer rides. The axles carry the load. The springs are responsible for ride. The object here is to avoid an overloading condition that can result in failure and an accident that involves someone who is lawsuit happy. Carrying a load requires that the tires, springs, axles and the frame be up to the task. You even admit you will be very close to the maximum load capacity of this trailer. The ONLY way you will know what you have is to load it up the way you will travel with it and that includes "everything" that will ride in the boat including fuel, coolers, batteries, anchors, and other stuff. Each tire carries 1/4 of the load so the load capacity must be an absolute minimum of 1/4 of the maximum load and that is putting the tires at maximum stress. Springs are available from 1000# to oh-my-gosh rating so start with what you have as they are the least problematic of the components in the suspension. A 1-1/6 inch spindle is barely bigger than my thumb so ponder that while asking yourself -- is this safe. Lastly, park the rig fully loaded on a flat parking lot. Position yourself about 30 feet in back of the trailer and squat down while observing the axles near the center. Do the axles have a downward bow? Do the tires seem to be tipped in a bit at the top vs out at the bottom?? If the answer to either of these is YES -- you have an axle/spindle problem already which is very likely due to overloading.

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a good point, so I've been doing some more checking around.

There is a marina that has several used single axle trailers that they will sell for $1400. They are going to check, but they think a single axle will work for me. I told him about the weight of my boat and he said he'll get back to me next week after he checks the max load of these trailers. I'm thinking they are 3500# though.

Thing is, I bought this trailer that I have for $450. If I sell it for $1500 (which I think I'll get), I'll have nearly $1000 . New tandem axle Venture axles from my Marina is selling them for $2800 ish.

I wish the $1400 trailer could work, but I doubt it, unless you guys know something I don't (which is highly likely).

So, my options:

Keep my trailer, spend $250 in tires, and try to get my brakes working. If not, that'll probably cost another $250 or so.

So, worst case scenario, I'll have about $1000 into this trailer as it sits.

Or, sell it and have $1000 in my pocket. That means I could basically buy a brand new trailer for $1800.

I agree that upgrading this current trailer with stronger axles is out of the question.

My last 2001 Larson was 19 ft with a 4.3. NADA lists it's weight at 2650. NADA lists the Mariah (boat I'm purchasing) at 2800 lbs. I've heard up to 2975. Whatever, something close to 3000lbs.

Do you think a single axle trailer could work?

Thanks again....I'll get this figured out sooner or later. And again, the reason I'm having so many discussions about this is because I don't want to be unsafe. But then again, I don't want to buy a new trailer just for the hell of it.

Steve

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You apparently are not following the entire weight thing. Why on earth would you buy a worse trailer than you have. A single axle trailer is going to have ONE 3500# axle. I thought the forum has pretty much determined the weight is going to be in the 3600# range so that would place you over the capacity of the axle right out of the gate regardless what size tires you install. Remember the weak link in all of this is axles and tires. OF COURSE the marina will tell you the single axle trailer will work for you -- because they sell trailers!!! You really need to determine what the actual weight of your rig is. The only way to know that is to have it weighed. Why spend money if you don't need to. The boat is sitting on a tandem trailer because the original owner or whoever packaged the rig knew a single axle would not be a good match.

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like I said, I didn't think it would work, but I wasn't sure if single axle trailers could have a higher gross weight.

I should have worded my question differently.

Steve

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Ain't nothing spookier than a blowout on a heavily loaded single axle trailer. Just sayin'.

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ain't nothing spookier than a blowout on a heavily loaded single axle trailer. Just sayin'.

Yeah, I've thought of that...

Looks like I'm putting my trailer on craigslist tonight.