1971 Johnson 20 HP. Please help a rookie!

Kobescott08

Cadet
Okay my grandfather died about a year ago and he had an boat and I'm trying to fix it up. I'm completely new to working on motors so a friend of mine is helping me he knows some stuff. We are having trouble getting spark consistently. Let me break down what we did. We followed this guide for the tune up

http://www.maxrules.com/FIXTENTUNE.HTM (did not get to carb cleaning yet just trying to get spark)

After replacing all fuel lines and gas tanks we tried to start motor but only one plug was getting spark. We checked compression its good. We decided to change all the components in the magneto. We changed the spark plugs and the boots and wires. We changed the coils, the condensers and the breakers. We connected the black coil wire to the top of the coil and the green wire to the breakers. Also condensers and a killswitch wire also attached to breaker. We set the spacers to .022 like the manual said and tried to crank using a battery. Starter spins everything seems to be in order just no spark. A guy we know used some kind of electric meter to check the compatibility and the thing would beep when we put the green wires from the coils on the breakers. We can put the killswitch and condensor wires on it and no beep. I'm not quite sure where we may have gone wrong. We tried to follow everything as precise as possible from the manual. Any help would really be appreciated! I'm trying hard to learn!

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1971 Johnson 20 HP. Please help a rookie!

Did you connect the green wire from the coil to the set of points to the right of the coil?

Kobescott08

Cadet

Did you connect the green wire from the coil to the set of points to the right of the coil?

I think we connected them to to the points to the left of the coil if my memory serves me correctly. Is this incorrect? We were admittedly confused as how to wire the coils.

Kobescott08

Cadet

I just talked to my friend we installed the green wire to the left of the coil on the points the opposite of the black wires which we installed to the right side of the coil on the coil piece itself

lindy46

Captain

Well. there's the problem. Green wire goes to the points to the right of the coil. Black wire can ground on either coil mounting bolt. Make sure the coils are lined up flush with the mounting bosses. They can't stick too far in or out - must be flush.

Kobescott08

Cadet

Wow! Told you I was a rookie its the little details that count sometimes. I will switch them over and let you know if we get spark tommorow. Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it!