Chaparral 280 Signature vs Sea Ray 280 Sundancer

Flyboy2000

Cadet
I think I have narrowed down my "new to me" boat search to either the Chaparral 280 Signature or the Sea Ray 280 Sundancer. I'm lookin at 2006 boats. Twin power, and staying away from the Volvo Penta XDP ( Composite) drive.
Does anyone here have any real world comparison. I have to say it looks like Sea Ray quality has dropped in the 2008- model years..?
I used to own a small 240 Sundancer and liked it but wanted to hear first hand reports of ride differences. and other issues. I can't sea trial both boats..
Any opinions?

T.L.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Chaparral 280 Signature vs Sea Ray 280 Sundancer

I can't sea trial both boats..
Any opinions?

T.L.

Why not? You're prepared to pay a 6 digit purchase price. I'd think any dealer would bend over backward to accommodate you. Just curious.

My .02

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Why not? You're prepared to pay a 6 digit purchase price. I'd think any dealer would bend over backward to accommodate you. Just curious.

My .02

I agree...... They should buy you lunch too

Flyboy2000

Cadet

My last boat a 240 Sundnacer was purchased new from the dealer, so I've never experienced this before. But I am looking at a used boat. ( 2006-2007) The brokers I've been to will not even START the engines, let alone take it out of the slip..without an ACCEPTED offer AND a 10% deposit!!
I can't believe I am supposed to make a $60,000 purchase without taking it for a ride.
They all say that it is fully refundable if I don't like the Sea Trial.
Oh brother.
Let me know if anyone has a Chap 280 Signature or Sea Ray 280 Sundancer that they know of thats in great shape for sale.

but does anyone have any experience with both??

Tony

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

I know the Chaparral comes in a dual drive, but does the searay?

I looked at the 2011 Chaparrals at the recent Houston boat show.. Those are some fine boats...

Going to be tough to find folks that have had both boat brands

djred889

Cadet

We have a 2004 Chaparral Signature 290. Absolutely love the boat! We looked at Sea Rays before we bought the Chap and Chaps are much better in my opinion. Better construction and ride better. Let me know if you have any Chaparral questions, I can try to answer them.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

I went through this exact same process in 2004. One thing I DID NOT LIKE about the Searay was the single bucket seat at the helm. The Chap had a twin seat and was very well done. The new Searay 280's finally has a twin seat at the helm. The other knock against the searay was that it had twin v-6's. I investigated this and found out the 280's originally had v-8's, but the boat turned out to be too tail heavy and had a porpoising problem, so they went with v-6's. IMO, that is not enough power for this boat, load it with fuel, water and 8 people and you'll have trouble getting on plane. I also thought the interior of the Searay had been cheapened up considerably over previous models. In addtion to the double bench at the Helm, the overall quality of the Chaparral appeared to be a little higher (although looks can be deceiving). I test drove the Searay, not very impressive, and could never get the Chap dealer to commit to a sea trial. In the end, I talked myself out of both boats and bought a Chaparral 280 SSi bow rider and think it is one of the best boats I've ever been on.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am obviously biased but I think the Chaparral is a much better built boat. I would check out the Chaparral owners forum at www.chaparralboats.com under owners forums and ask the folks there. I looked at both when I purchased mine and the Sea Ray was nice but I think you are paying for the name more than a superior boat.

Flyboy2000

Cadet

So I found a few boats, and contaced one particular broker who had several listings on YW. I told hiim I would like to fly (Trans con) to go see the boat. He told me that I was moving too fast, and that they "represent" boat sellers, who are too busy to just show the boat to everyone. He said that normally they need to have an offer and a DEPOSIT to even VIEW the boat.!!!

I told him I'm not spending ONE dime to just "look" at the boat. Yes, a Sea Trial is totally different,but just to even look at the boat! Un real!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

So I found a few boats, and contaced one particular broker who had several listings on YW. I told hiim I would like to fly (Trans con) to go see the boat. He told me that I was moving too fast, and that they "represent" boat sellers, who are too busy to just show the boat to everyone. He said that normally they need to have an offer and a DEPOSIT to even VIEW the boat.!!!

I told him I'm not spending ONE dime to just "look" at the boat. Yes, a Sea Trial is totally different,but just to even look at the boat! Un real!

Do I misunderstand you, or are you saying that you planned to fly cross country just to look?

If you're coming to the North or Northeast, the boats are still wrapped, need to be cleaned, drives need to be reinstalled, etc. It isn't that easy just to show it. The boat owner will need to take time off from work and incur expenses just for you to 'kick the tires'. It's still a bit too early in the season to dewinterize everything.

I really don't know what the right answer is, but as the owner I'd want a bit more commitment before I put out much effort or expense so early. Mid-late April might be a different story. I'd be getting it ready for the season anyway.

My .02