pen yann swift

:confused: I have what looks to be an early 70's model penn yan swift. I dont know for sure this is a swift is there anyway of finding out? the hull is in rough condition and Im new at this. Not sure where to begin any suggestions?

maybe early 70"s penn yan boat

maybe early 70"s penn yan boat

:confused:I have a Penn Yan boat it looks to be a swift. The hull is fiberglass in rough shape would like to restore it back original as possible. How would I go about finding the model or year of the boat? I am new at this.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: pen yann swift

Swifts are 1950's not 1970's. Get the serial number and take a picture, then google the Penn Yan Boat Owners Club and ask the question over there. Post the pic here and I can tell you if its a swift as well.

If all else fails send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with a Swift collector in Byron, NY.

sasto

Captain

hmmmm...fiberglass? probably 70's

Upper starboard transom....just below the rubrail has a code . What is it?

Or follow JimS.. as I am a member at the forum mentioned. I recently recieved an old Penn Yan and learned alot about their heritage, advertising, claims,....very interesting.

Good Luck, onaboat

PS: are ya really onaboat now? :cool:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: maybe early 70"s penn yan boat

Welcome to iboats

Penn Yan had questionable construction methods and usually require a TON of work and TONS of money to restore them. You will never recoup anything near what you spend. Just be VERY positive you want to restore that boat.

sasto

Captain

rooster.jpg
Welcome to iboats

Penn Yan had questionable construction methods and usually require a TON of work and TONS of money to restore them. You will never recoup anything near what you spend. Just be VERY positive you want to restore that boat.

I beg to differ. Maybe a restore is not necessary at this time. They can be half bad and still be better than others. I have spent 3X the money in fuel than I have in the whole investment of our Penn Yan.....in less than a year. She is from 1974 and I will put her up to most modern construction methods. Would anybody like to see examples of an origional Penn Yan still getting her done in all kinds of conditions, offshore, inshore?

Contact me or anybody else at the marina where Baccala is kept.

attachment.php

View attachment 82718

I beg to differ. Maybe a restore is not necessary at this time. They can be half bad and still be better than others. I have spent 3X the money in fuel than I have in the whole investment of our Penn Yan.....in less than a year. She is from 1974 and I will put her up to most modern construction methods. Would anybody like to see examples of an origional Penn Yan still getting her done in all kinds of conditions, offshore, inshore?

Contact me or anybody else at the marina where Baccala is kept.

attachment.php

Im so happy to hear this!! The boat I have is totally trashed I will try to get pictures to post. There are holes in the fiberglass and interior had to be gutted. I have no idea how long this was sitting outside for it wasnt covered.(I actually had to cut the growing plants out of it too!) I really want to put the money in to fixing this because this could be a nice boat. and the trailer is still good. do you know where i may be able to find photos of what this used to look like? I just dont want to see any boat go to waste. do you know if penn yan has a website. I looked for archives but i cant seem to find them online.

sasto

Captain

Sure, InOnABoat,

www.pennyanbbs.org

Those people there are crazy about their boats. You will find most all the info and photos there.

Good Luck!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

:

Swifts were made up until the late 1950's and were cedar strip. They were canvas covered, so from the outside they may have looked fiberglas to the casual observer. 12 or 13' long.

Any fiberglass Penn Yan would have to be over 16'.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

as I recall the model number will appear on the stem or the transom brace.

Swifts are 1950's not 1970's. Get the serial number and take a picture, then google the Penn Yan Boat Owners Club and ask the question over there. Post the pic here and I can tell you if its a swift as well.

If all else fails send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with a Swift collector in Byron, NY.

Thank you so much for this info. I just messed up my ankle and will have to wait until it heals to takes picts.its in a field covered with a tarp so there may be some delimas there. When I googled penn yan boats i used images and tried to match it as close as possible. again thank you so much!!!! I will get those picts up asap!

Upper starboard transom....just below the rubrail has a code . What is it?

Or follow JimS.. as I am a member at the forum mentioned. I recently recieved an old Penn Yan and learned alot about their heritage, advertising, claims,....very interesting.

Good Luck, onaboat

PS: are ya really onaboat now? :cool:

How do I know if this is worth restoring? Like I said before I have no expirence with any of this!!! Im a lil worried about what bob advised about spending tons and tons of money. In your opinion is it worth restoring if its just a fiberglass hull and a trailer? I have a buget for this boat of 5k?
To tell ya the honest truth, i just purchased my first boat this july. I have not had much of a chance to take it out yet but im hopefull this summer!!! Ive only ever rented before and by the end of the summer I could have purchased a decent boat for what I spent renting. I have a good first boat. Then in august a friend had this older penn yan that was on his property when he purchsed it and asked me if I wanted it. I told him yes and now this is my new project. Thus, brings you up to date on the chaos! lol

sasto

Captain

Hi onaboat....I can't say if she is worth restoring. What restoration needs to take place? Is she running? What are your skills? I can say that I really don't know much about Penn Yans or their value. I recieved one and she was in good shape for her age. I've put over 100 hrs on her in just a few months. We really like the boat.

Need Pics! Good Luck.

fishrdan

Admiral

a friend had this older penn yan that was on his property when he purchsed it and asked me if I wanted it

Does your friend have the titles for the boat and trailer? I'd make sure you have the titles in hand before even moving it. Re-titling (getting new ones) old boats/trailers can be darn near impossible and probably not worth the hassle, on an old resto boat. I've seen adds for places that offer "titling" service, but it's $200-300....