What is your Fuel line Configuration w/ a Built-in Tank?

ebry710

Ensign
I have a BW Outrage with a 1989 Johnson 120 attached. I added a water oil separator before the pump bulb. I am having trouble priming it.

It dawn on me that my fuel system design might not be correct. I have
1) a check valve nipple at the tank
2) 3/8" hose
3) oil water seperator
4) 3/8" hose
5) Pump Bulb
6) 3/8" hose
7) VRO fitting
8) 3/8" hose
9) glass inline filter (to see fuel)
10) 3/8" hose
11) VRO Pump

All 3/8" hoses are connect with ss hose clamps and total system length 6'.

When I took the two filters off the system, changed out check valve to hollow nipple and shorten system to 4', it worked fine.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: What is your Fuel line Configuration w/ a Built-in Tank?

I assume that you mean that #3 is a water/fuel seperator. Try holding the fuel primer bulb in a vertical position with the fuel outlet to the engine being at the top. Filling the water/fuel seperator for the first time can be a chore.

karlow1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It sounds like the wrong check valve. You should check which way it allows gas to flow. The squeeze bulbs typically has a built in check valve. I do not think that you do not need two. I would be concerned about thermal concern of the gas trapped in the line by the check valves when the line is not concerned.

KP

ebry710

Ensign

I assume that you mean that #3 is a water/fuel seperator. Try holding the fuel primer bulb in a vertical position with the fuel outlet to the engine being at the top. Filling the water/fuel seperator for the first time can be a chore.

Yep. It is a water/fuel separator. So when the system is being primed, should I removed the hose from the VRO fitting until line is primed.

It sounds like the wrong check valve. You should check which way it allows gas to flow. The squeeze bulbs typically has a built in check valve. I do not think that you do not need two. I would be concerned about thermal concern of the gas trapped in the line by the check valves when the line is not concerned.

I will keep the tank check value out of the system.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 94 GW with a 175 Johnson and your plumbing is pretty much just like my factory setup. The only time that I have trouble priming the system after changing the water separator filter is if the carburetors are completely full with fuel. If they are, the bulb is already hard and you will not be able to suck fuel from the tank to fill the filter. I have a kicker motor plumbed to the same filter and it is easy to remove the motor fitting. I just remove that fitting and pump the kicker bulb until fuel flows and I am good to go. If you can open a fuel line anywhere downstream of the primer bulb, you might try that.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

It might not be correct, but whenever I change my water separator filter, I fill it with fuel which makes priming easier.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 94 GW with a 175 Johnson and your plumbing is pretty much just like my factory setup. The only time that I have trouble priming the system after changing the water separator filter is if the carburetors are completely full with fuel. If they are, the bulb is already hard and you will not be able to suck fuel from the tank to fill the filter. I have a kicker motor plumbed to the same filter and it is easy to remove the motor fitting. I just remove that fitting and pump the kicker bulb until fuel flows and I am good to go. If you can open a fuel line anywhere downstream of the primer bulb, you might try that.

My water separator filter has two outlets. One goes to the main engine with a bulb between the filter and the engine. The other is set up with about 6 feet of hose and the right connector for the kicker. It has its own bulb.

My full setup for two built in tanks is:

Right and Left tanks with whatever internal pickups and valves they would normally have (I've never looked at them!)
Each tank has a fuel line going to transom area
T valve to select which tank is in use
Line from T valve goes to inlet for water sep. filter
Two outlets from water sep filter as described above

I think all fuel lines are 3/8.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

as DA said. It might not be correct, but whenever I change my water separator filter, I fill it with fuel which makes priming easier.

Fill the canister, takes a long time to suck all that air out.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

My primer bulb is located between the filter and tank.

ebry710

Ensign

I took the check value out of the system and primed water/fuel separator with lines detached. It primed real fast. I will refire it up this afternoon.

Where is most peoples primer bulb placed, before or after the water/fuel separator?

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

I believe the proper place for the priming bulb is just before the engine, in other words after the water sep. filter. I believe the water sep. filter installation instructions and/or your engine's instructions will specify this. (that the filter is supposed to be in line just before the engine).

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The fuel filter's placement will depend in part on the type. The large water separating filters work by gravity and must be mounted in a fixed position. They are most effective where they would not be affected by such things as tilt and trim and the rapid movement of steering. They should be mounted higher than the tank in case of leaks so that fuel cannot be siphoned out of the tank. They also need to be accessible for easy inspection and for replacement of the filters.

Smaller filters that are not water separating are often mounted at the engine.

Most of the yards in our area mount the large filters as close to the tank as workable and before anything else in the fuel line. That is how all of my boats have been set up since the 1970's.

The Racor filters have instructions to fill the canister with fuel before installing. The instructions are printed right on the side of the filter.

ebry710

Ensign

I fired up the engine with the line modifications. Engine idles smoothly while connected to my garden hose. It also slowed down VRO injection so it does not smoke as much. I am looking forward to the lake. Thanks to all.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

When you say you took the check valve out of the system, are you talking about the anti-siphon valve at the tank? That might not be a good idea, BW probably installed it because regulations require it for safety reasons.
My primer bulb is located after the filter. Filling the filter with fuel before you install it would certainly simplify things. I have always worried about putting unfiltered fuel into the clean side of the filter though. I don't know why really, because I am sure the small filter on the motor would trap anything that got by the main filter.

ebry710

Ensign

I am using the small filter as a window to the fuel line. I can see bubbles, no fuel and fuel discoloration. I guess it also be used to catch particulates.

You are probably right though. Once my system is operating, I'll see if there is a less restrictive check valve. It would allow me to change the filter without allowing contaminate to be reintroduced into the tank and stop a flaming fuel from entering the tank........but I will run my boat first.