1986 Johnson 20 hp lower unit

duckdog1983

Cadet
I'm working on the lower unit. I have removed everything i can, and managed to get the reverse gear out. The problem I?m having is the prop shaft is frozen and will not come out. My manual says it should just pull out. But it?s not. Do you guys think its from corrosion or do you think I'm missing something? Does anyone have any ideas to free it out?

Thanks,

Jay

duckdog1983

Cadet
Re: 1986 Johnson 20 hp lower unit

Yes I removed the ring, and have the schematic. Thanks for the part link though. I have even managed to remove the shift lever from underneath the clutch dog. Right now I have it soaking in a penetrator. Any ideas?

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Shift lever ? the pivot pin down by the lower drain?

duckdog1983

Cadet

Yeah I took out the screw next to the drain "pivot pin" that holds the shift lever in place. I was able to slide the shift lever under the clutch dog. so now i have a pinion gear, clutch dog, and fwd gear left on the shaft. I think the fwd gear is froze on the shaft. If it does come free tomorrow I'm going to make up some acetone and ATF.

dew2

Does the pinion drop out first to let the forward gear clear?

RedbaranTX

Seaman Apprentice

Does the pinion drop out first to let the forward gear clear?

Yes, you need to get the pinion gear out first. Pull out the drive shaft and try to pop out the pinion gear.

duckdog1983

Cadet

will the pinion gear clear the clutch dog? I'll try it next!!!

duckdog1983

Cadet

Ok, so I managed to get the clutch dog off. But not the pinon gear. Does any know if the pinon gear will clear the prop shaft and come out?

dew2

I'm hoping you figure it out,I have a 84 evinrude with the same lower I need to inspect.
Is the pinion stopping the f gear from sliding out?
I thought by now one of the seasoned outboard guys would have responded??
I hope you got the detent balls saved and the spring,they should have poped out when you removed the dog.
As far as the pinion clearing the shaft,Trying is the only way I could see.sorry
Now you got me wondering what it'll be like reinstalling? How the heck can the pinion be returned if the F gear has to go in first.

dew2

I just searched my manual, Chapter 8-88 has all the info you need to remove and install,Some pullers are involved,I have them and they were about 90 bucks,I do believe cheaper can be got.
PM me your email add. and I can send you the manual,If email will handle a 224MB file.And if I can figure out PMs here.
Its a great step by step manual.

dew2

Ok, so I managed to get the clutch dog off. But not the pinon gear. Does any know if the pinon gear will clear the prop shaft and come out?
No the shaft has to come out first.Then the Fgear tilts to pass the pinion to come out.

duckdog1983

Cadet

Got it guys... Acetone and ATF .... shimmed the shaft, put the nut and a washer on, tightened the nut and then tapped the fwd gear with a punch and 2 lb hammer. Thanks for all the help.

duckdog1983

Cadet

Ok, now a new question. The pinion needs to set without any slop in the gears. I don?t have the special tools to place the pinion bearings into the proper location. Can I drive the pinion bearings in higher then needed, insert everything into place. Then drive the bearings down until the pinion is paper thickness tight? Hope this makes sense.
Thanks in advance

Jay