Volvo SX drive Service

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer
Decided to do my own drive service this year and have all the parts on order that I need for the job, drive is a 2006 Volvo SX drive coupled to a 5.0GXi motor. So my question is, I pulled the drive and noticed that the u joints have no Zerk fitting or any type of fitting for greasing. Can I assume these are permanently sealed and need no service or am I missing something. Other than that, drive oil was clean and u joint and gimbal bearing spin silky smooth, not surprised as boat has 70 hours on it. The other question I had was around the drain screws/plugs, these are a bear to remove and had to trash them a bit to get them off, I ordered new ones along with new o rings but am wondering what the torque spec is on these. Do I need to go to sears and get a giant screwdriver or is there some other trick with these guys.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo SX drive Service

No zirks = no service required. You should also be checking the alignment yearly along with the drive service and checking bellows for water and oil.
The use of an impact screw driver with a large bit removes the drain plugs without damage.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo SX drive Service

Thanks Don, bellows looks good and alignment tool is on the way.