loose steering

obenton

Recruit
My 1995 chaparrall's steering wheel has gotten progressively loose. Very difficult to steer unless up to speed. Where should I start to look-the cable or the wheel? Any help appreciated. OB

Re: loose steering

look behind the steering wheel that will probably be behind that dashboard you can tighten it there. you might have the cable loose for there. you could also need to tighten the steering rod that is connected to the motor.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

My 1995 chaparrall's steering wheel has gotten progressively loose. Very difficult to steer unless up to speed. Where should I start to look-the cable or the wheel? Any help appreciated. OB

Welcome to iboats.

More information is really needed. I am going to guess your chap... is an I/O ...... is that correct?

Look under the dash and see which mechanism you have. You will probably have a rotary system which feeds in the cable into a box (looks similar to an enclosed gear box) or you might have a rack and pinion which is a steering rack that glides back and forth as you turn the wheel. Neither of these units have any adjustment to tighten them under the dash.

One of the best tests you can perform is to disconnect the steering cable at the motor end and then try the wheel. If the cable is binding it must be replaced.

With all that said......does your boat happen to have a power steering pump? Check the fluid.

The last type steering system is a hydraulic system which on occasion needs to be bled, even a fluid change and the hydraulic cylinder's need to be checked to.

All steering connections are connected at the motor end with some type of joint or stainless steel bolt connection. Important to check that for wear........ replace if needed.

If the boat is new to you.....and it is an I/O then you need to know they are terrible at idle speeds for handling....

Overall more information is needed.

Smallboatlover ??? Where is this mythical adjustment??

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:
Smallboatlover ??? Where is this mythical adjustment??
I think he's referring to the tension adjustment knob, which of course, won't help at all if the problem is slack in the steering.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

Not likely play at the wheel. Most likely the cable needs adjustment, or the tiller arm is loose. Check this thread for reference:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=442127&highlight=steering+play
The two tiller arm bolts need to be re-torqued every year as part of your yearly maintenance.