throttle question

jlsmith

Seaman
I just bought a new boat to me a 98 bass tracker pro team 175 it will shift into forward just fine when the motor is not running but will not shift into reverse I didn't know if this was normal with the boat not running. I just had the water pump replaced and was afraid someone did something wrong.

jlsmith

Seaman
Re: throttle question

I read on the internet where it must be running for the dog to catch to allow it to go into reverse didn't know if this was true or not becasue I can't remember if it would go into reverse before the water pump was replaced.

the throtle should be able to move in froward and reverse when the motors off. i can do it with mine.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Normal to have poor shifting with the engine off. Without engine rotation the shift dogs don't always line up.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Care to give us the make and model of the outboard so this can be moved to the correct forum??

Normal to have poor shifting with the engine off. Without engine rotation the shift dogs don't always line up.

Exactly. Depending on where the clutch dog is in relation to the gears when the engine stops it may or may not move into either forward or reverse. What matters is that it moves into both forward and reverse when the engine is running.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

if you rotate the prop a little the dogs should drop into place.If you rotate the prop by hand while in gear you will note about 1/4 to 1/3 free rotation.