GM rear end

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer
So I'm on my way home from school and the rear end in my truck goes clunk-grrrrr and then rolls to a stop and decides not to move:mad:

No warnings like howling when you go down the road or clunking when it goes into gear. In fact I changed the fluid in it this summer with oem synthetic fluid and the old fluid looked good and the rear end has no leaks.

Ever have one of those decades?

I can't wait to pull the cover off in the morning and see how many pieces are in there floating around..I'm wondering if I should do it before I do my calculus homework.

Either way it's not going to be a good day.:facepalm:

Sorry for the rant.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: GM rear end

WOw that's not good but I too had that happen in an older truck. Depending on the year.....pick up a whole rear and the swap is not too bad. Get some new spring U bolts and go for it.

Your rear end code is inside your glovebox on the build sticker.

Moody Blue

Captain

Don't be too sure it was the rear end. I had a similar experience a few years ago. Driving along fine with NO signs, noises or symptoms of any sort. Stopped at a stop sign, stepped on the gas to go and crunch, clunk, grind. Took about 1/3 throttle just to get moving then all I had was 1st gear.

Had it towed to a shop and they dropped the tranny pan and it was full of pieces/chunks of metal. That was an expensive surprise.

tswiczko

Yeah, It's a 2000 Silverado.

I found a couple in my area for $5-600used. also a complete carrier for $250(hoping my ring and pinion are good but probably not).

It's been about 15 years since I've done a rear end and I really didn't want to have to do one any time soon.

And on a side note, I have class from 1:15pm to 10:00pm Monday to Thursday and was selected for jury duty starting Monday the 31.

I guess it's a good thing I waited to do the rear brakes now I can do them while I have the axles out;)

tswiczko

Don't be too sure it was the rear end. I had a similar experience a few years ago. Driving along fine with NO signs, noises or symptoms of any sort. Stopped at a stop sign, stepped on the gas to go and crunch, clunk, grind. Took about 1/3 throttle just to get moving then all I had was 1st gear.

Had it towed to a shop and they dropped the tranny pan and it was full of pieces/chunks of metal. That was an expensive surprise.

No first thing I checked when it happened. I looked underneath and the drive shaft is turning and the truck doesn't go

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

No first thing I checked when it happened. I looked underneath and the drive shaft is turning and the truck doesn't go

Yep rear end!

Actually your pretty lucky! I'm sure you have heard the horror stories about rear ends breaking while at 55 mph or so!! I have broke 3 rear ends but never going faster then 20 mph, I broke a dana 60 in my 67 Camaro launching at a stop light and it lifted the rear of my car off the ground!

Bob_VT

Staff member

Well was your truck a Z-71? If it was "just" a regular truck or a 4x4 now is a great time to upgrade to a locker.

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know how you feel. I broke the rear end of my Sub. in a parking lot. Put it in 4Hi and drove home like that. A few daya later, i had a new rear end installed. I had broken the spider gears in the housing. Mechanic was astounded that I was even able to move at all.

NYBo

Admiral

My '89 Suburban had a similar problem except power continued to reach the wheels as the teeth that weren't broken off meshed. Until ALL the teeth broke off, that is!:eek:

tswiczko

Well was your truck a Z-71? If it was "just" a regular truck or a 4x4 now is a great time to upgrade to a locker.

Yeah I was thinking that. If I can find a used one that doesn't break my budget.

It is the Z71 4x4

And Lipp is right I 'm lucky it didn't happen at higher speed.

it could have been worse this could have been a transmission or engine swap which would be way more expensive...

tswiczko

Yep rear end!

Actually your pretty lucky! I'm sure you have heard the horror stories about rear ends breaking while at 55 mph or so!! I have broke 3 rear ends but never going faster then 20 mph, I broke a dana 60 in my 67 Camaro launching at a stop light and it lifted the rear of my car off the ground!

I have broken a couple trying to go fast too:D

But that wasn't the case this time. I was pulling away from a stop sign nice and easy and was only doing about ten mph.

I wish I still had my Fire Bird:cool:. A lot of the younger people where I go to school don't understand what a real muscle car is. Don't get me wrong there are some wicked fast tuners out there, but it aint the same as sitting behind the wheel of a sixties car with four wheel drum brakes, manual steering and transmission and a big block powerplant that was designed to deliver so so much torque that you could make the passengers in the car swallow their gum involuntarily at a launch.:eek:

Bob_VT

Staff member

Since it is a Z-71 I would shop for the Z-71 rear end. The only thing you need is the axle code from the glove box. Maybe you will get lucky and pull the cover....... see what parts are still left and serviceable.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I was going to say maybe you just broke one axle. But doesn't the Z71 package come with the G80 posi-locking diff, or is that optional?
If yours is open diff, it could still be only a broken axle.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Yup the G80 is standard and actually part of the Z71 package

tswiczko

Thanks Bob but not so lucky as to have an axle to break,.

It HAD one of them GUVLOK GERNADES...

only thing left are the ring and pinion:mad:What a mess there is a nik on one of the teeth but it is in a non wear area( end of tooth) not the mating surface. I have run with worse gears so I don't think it'll affect the performance any

Bone yards around here want 550 650 for a carrier and 1100 for a whole rear axle assembly(not rebuilt). When I told the guy on the phone I could get an Eaton for a hundred less or an Auburn for 409. and change he was silent for a few seconds and then said that his price was with a 250 deposit.

guess he doesn't know you can get a carrier w/o gears for 150 new NO DEPOSIT:facepalm:

I can remember when I could buy 12 bolt possi's all day for 95 dollars from the boneyard

tswiczko

So I started looking and found a G80 on that e-bay thing for 115 and I am not too sure about buying something I can't look at fiirst..

and install kit is gonna cost about another 100

and I have a bad u-joint so I will be doing those also, and I have new brake pads sitting waiting to go on.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Bone yards around here want 550 650 for a carrier and 1100 for a whole rear axle assembly(not rebuilt). When I told the guy on the phone I could get an Eaton for a hundred less or an Auburn for 409. and change he was silent for a few seconds and then said that his price was with a 250 deposit.

Man that is absolutely ridiculous.

tswiczko

I told one of the yards I called the same thing.

for that price I could get a 9 inch that is ready to take its place. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of money.

But I have been blessed with mechanical abillity and have rebuilt a couple in the past with good results so I am going to do it again and hope I have the same results.

I'm kind of glad my dad made me buy clunkers when I was young instead of telling me to get a loan and make payments.. Now that I'm in a tight spot I can rely on the things I learned from him.

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I grew up working under my dads cars. I told my dad I would NEVER do my owm mechanical work. With 5 engines you don't really have a choice unless you make $$$.

How many miles are on the truck? I have your same truck and I'm hoping I can prevent something like this on my truck.

I told one of the yards I called the same thing.

for that price I could get a 9 inch that is ready to take its place. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of money.

But I have been blessed with mechanical abillity and have rebuilt a couple in the past with good results so I am going to do it again and hope I have the same results.

I'm kind of glad my dad made me buy clunkers when I was young instead of telling me to get a loan and make payments.. Now that I'm in a tight spot I can rely on the things I learned from him.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you haven't checked out Rock Auto (rockauto.com) yet, make sure you do. Their prices are incredible. You could save a bundle buying your rebuild stuff from them.