Throttle cable help?

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys ive got a evinrude 25 around 1970s period and a seafire boat. i have wired up the throttle and everything but in order to rev the leaver must be pushed down this pushes the cable and revs the engine, although i would much rather it be pushed up! I dont know if there is a way to resolve this?
Also have i mounted the cable correctly i seem to have this threaded circular piece of metal that came with the 33c cable kit. Pics below.
DSC00920.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00919.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00918.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC01013.jpg
[/IMG]

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Throttle cable help?

How about removing the two mounting screws, rotating the control assembly 180? and refastening it. That would reverse the action w/o dis-assembly.

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good idea but then wouldnt the gear be backwards?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Good idea but then wouldnt the gear be backwards?

life's full of little trade-offs.

But, I would expect idle to be at the top, and full throttle to be at the bottom, as in "putting the hammer down".

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Frankly, I've never seen a control like that one. Seems like it is intended to be mounted on top of a console. Well anyhoo....

Have you looked at the backside of the control? Most Morse Controls are convertable from pull-to-open to push-to-open throttles. That allows them to be used with both Mercs and OMC motors. On the outer hand, I don't know if that is a Morse Control.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You have the wrong part in the bracket on the engine. The knurled knob affair is called a trunion and that is what is what adjusts the cable. You also have a very sharp bend at the bracket which is binding the cable. The cable should be long enough to form a complete loop before attachment to the engine. This allows the engine to swing right and left without stressing the cable. You need to visit a dealer and look at how cables are routed..

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh so how do i correctly mount the cable is there a diagram at all?