first impeller repair, couple questions

aarongreen123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a 1972 9.5hp Johnson. I want to make an attemp at working on this thing myself, but i don't have any outboard experience. i know this motor hasn't been run in at least 5 years, so i decided to replace the impeller before doing anything else. this morning i took the lower unit off and it seemed to come apart as described in other posts i found. do i just need to replace the impeller or are there other parts that should be replaced also? i expected to find a gasket between the impeller housing and the plate that it mounts to, but there wasn't one, should there be one there? i didn't see it in the diagrams i found online but the impeller repair kits seem to have one included. i didn't notice any other o rings other than the one at the top of the drive shaft. the kits also a couple other rings/seals. i'm happy to just put the thing back together the way it was, but between the age of the motor and not knowing who worked on it before, and my inexperience, i wanted to confirm. thanks for any info you can provide.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: first impeller repair, couple questions

To start a factory manual will be your best friend if you want to start maintaining your motors yourself.

What is the condition of the impeller housing and plate? If scored, replace them. Also be sure to replace the o ring at the top of the drive shaft, and re grease the splines before reinstallation. The grommet on top of the impeller housing where the water line enters should be replaced, and ensure that it is not pinching off the water line, restricting flow. In the kit I believe will be an oil retainer, which sits between the impeller housing plate and the bearing housing assembly. The bearing housing gasket will be in the kit as well. Final piece of the kit will likely be a new pin which drives the impeller. While you have your lower unit down, clean out the intake area, flush compressed air or water through the water line to ensure it is not clogged. Remove the prop and clean any fishing line off the propshaft and regrease.

There are a couple good links I will provide that you should read to help you on your way. Good luck and keep us posted.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309188

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2049494#post2049494

aarongreen123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

great thanks a lot thats helps a lot. i read you loud and clear about the manual, it should be in the mail as we speak. the plate looks good, you can see the path that the impeller takes while it rotates on the plate, but i don't see anything gouged out or any grooves worn in it. the house seems to be in good shape as well. just so i'm clear, the bearing housing gasket sits under the bearing housing correct? should i replace that or consider it an extra part and hang on to it. how does that bearing housing come out, seems to be in there firmly still with what i currently have disassembled? if the plate etc looks ok should i just replace the impeller itself? when you say flush the water line out, you mean up through where the lower unit connects and thru the motor and out the normal water hole, or in the lower unit itself? frozen hard up here at the moment any suggestions on how to get that done this time of year?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The only gasket in that engine's water pump area is the one under the housing/seal/plate that the water pump plate sits upon.

That seal housing is rather expensive. If it isn't leaking at the seal or gasket area and is more or less locked into position, I suggest that you leave it alone and simply clean the top portion of it. Attempting to free it usually results in damaging that housing. If on the other hand, that housing moves fairly easy, then I would lift it out, clean all surfaces, and then install a new gasket.

If there is any scoring or pitting in the impeller housing or upon the plate, replace them. Frankly, I install new complete water pump kits to avoid having to do the job twice. Scores and pitting can and usually does create an air pocket in the pump.

Use Bombardier 3M Product #847 (sealer available at a dealership) on the sealing surface of the impeller housing and also between the impeller plate and the seal housing.

Use regular Gasket Sealer (available at auto parts store) on the gasket if installing a new one. This comes in a can that has a brush attached to its screw off cap.