Replacing intake water hose

trm

Seaman
Have new intake water hose for my Mercury (pre-alpha) and am curious if anyone has ever replaced one without pulling the drive off the bellhousing. It looks possible but need to know if it is:) Any tips from those who have accomplished it would be more than welcome.<br /><br />Thanks, <br />Swabbie

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing intake water hose

hello<br /> try it<br /> i always remove the drive and gimbal housing.<br /> just cause I am lazy.<br /> the exhaust bellows looks like it can be changed without removing the drive.<br /> it can I did it once<br /> took about 3 hours<br /> now I just remove the drive and it takes about 45 min.<br /> good luck and follow the **** manual

trm

Seaman

Thanks Rodbolt. What supplies do I need to reattach the upper unit to the bellhousing?<br /><br />Swabbie

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Hello, You need a drive mounting kit. It comes with a paper gasket and a few o rings. Install the gasket dry without sealer and you should be all set. Costs just a few dollars at any marine supply.

elpaso

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can change water hose with out removing<br />deive on an Alpha - Have done it several times. Pre Alpha I am not sure.<br />Takes 2 men - Inside boat behind engine remove<br />hose where it comes through transom. <br />Remove small plate that holds hose barb. Remove<br />rubber gromet around barb - a little WD 40 - use<br />skinney screw driver. <br /><br />At outdrive - cut hose off in the middle - pull<br />and twist and hose and barb will come out of<br />the transom. Second man may have to help push<br />barb from inside. Note LOCATION of hose clamp.<br /><br />Install hose barb and clamp on new hose -<br />smear grease on barb and clamp. As outside<br />guides and pushes barb back through transom -<br />inside man uses long screw driver and long needle nose to help aline. Replace plate and <br />grommet.<br /> <br />Note - location and position of all clamps...<br /><br />Raise outdrive about 30 degrees. Remove clamp<br />and exhaust hose on outdrive only. <br />Remove clamp from water hose - split hose on<br />hose barb for easy removal. Clean and grease<br />barb - install hose and clamp. A 1/4 rachet -<br />long extension - 5/16 socket helps.<br />With one man holding exhaust hose in place.<br />2nd man puts on clamp. With 2 men we do <br />this job in 30 minutes.<br /><br />Removing outdrive is of little help in installing<br />a water hose. There are 5/8" and 3/4" diameter<br />hoses.

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I know it's been four years, but I just thought I'd add a bit to the previous post in case anyone else stumbles upon this post when looking to replace the intake hose. This repair is definitely possible with the bell housing in place, and I don't see why it couldn't be done with the entire outdrive attached. The only problems I had were that the exhaust bellows had to be detached, and I ran a wire through the hose and the barb assembly and anchored it to the inside of the engine compartment to guide the barb into place. That made it a one-man job. Oh, and that "o-ring" holding the barb assembly in place? It's about the size of a shock absorber bushing.

Bondo

Staff member

April 29th, 2004, 03:21 PM

Dude,..... It's Great to update the knowledge base,......

But this is 4 Years Old...........:rolleyes:

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not too much grease on the barb when sticking it through,other wise the barb will want to slide back out of the transom when the interior water hose is pushed onto barb. Did this today.Thanks for the thread.-B

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Bspeth,

While we appreciate your contribution, we request that you not reply to old threads. These form our technical archive, our library books if you like, and like all libraries, we prefer members not write in them.

If you have a question that is pertinent to the archive thread, please start your own thread and just add a link to the archived thread....
For more clarification on this request, please read #12 of the Forum Rules.

Thank you.
iBoats Moderation Team.

Last edited: