StarCraft SS powering ???

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got a question for all you StarCraft lovers out there. I'm looking at a 1972 16' super sport. It has a 70hp on the back. My question is will I be happy with a 70? I want to ski, tube, load it up and have fun, and not wish I had more horses under the hood...errr off the transom :D thanks in advance! I have also loved looking at all the resto threads man you people do some amazing work!

Frank

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: StarCraft SS powering ???

You will be thrilled with that combo. A 3 cyl 70 is the IDEAL motor for a 16' Starcraft in my opinion. Excellent power to weight ratio.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I have the same boat, with an 80hp Merc, and the 70hp 3-cylinder Johnnyrudes are the BEST motors for this boat in my opinion.

If I ever repower I will be looking for a '79 70hp Evinrude myself. The power/weight ratio is very favorable on those compared to the heavier V4/inline 4 cyl blocks.

As long as she's running strong you can get 35mph+ with a 70hp.

Starcrafts are some great boats, go get her:D

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Huron Angler thanks for the info from a fellow MI man! I live in Holt, about 2 seconds south of Lansing. Soooo just in case ur close I wont tell you where the boat is i'm looking at LOL. Good luck on restore! Looks like your moving along. Couple more months and the ice should be well on its way outta here!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Huron Angler thanks for the info from a fellow MI man! I live in Holt, about 2 seconds south of Lansing. Soooo just in case ur close I wont tell you where the boat is i'm looking at LOL. Good luck on restore! Looks like your moving along. Couple more months and the ice should be well on its way outta here!

FJ I'm not far away at all...but don't worry I've already got a 16' SS...so this one is all yours:)

Let me know if you need some help since I'm in the area.

I live just north of Lansing in DeWitt Township.

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got a 70 on my 18' holiday and it works out pretty well, its excellent on fuel. I think you will be happy with a 70 on that SS.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well thank you very much Huron Angler! I will keep that in mind.
I'm looking at a few different boats right now so we will see what I end up with. One I keep coming back to is a sea nymph 17ft aluminum hull, sitting at a local marina. with an 85hp rude. I know I know its not a starcraft.... but he has been sitting on it since last spring I know cuz I looked at it then, and I think he is eager to make it go away. We shall see.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Keep in mind that Sea Nymph was started by the same Schrock family that started Starcraft, so the older Sea Nymph hulls are nearly identical in design.

They are great boats, my dad actually had a 20' open bow Sea Nymph Fish-N-Ski that we used for years on the Great Lakes chasing salmon and trout.

Are you looking for a project or a rig that's ready to hit the water?

It's still a buyer's market here in Michigan so make sure that dealer gives you a good price:D (tons available on craigslist, check out these threads)

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=428279

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=442089

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is a 1978 Sea Nymph so if that makes it old enough to fall in that catagory that would be awesome. I cant tell much difference between the sea nymph and the starcraft SS restoration threads I have been looking at.

I usually go through Clist a couple times or more a day. I use the tempest search engine. I would love to find a decent running engine on a boat, I then have plans for a full restoration from there. But if the floor and transom are good for a few more years that wouldn't break my heart either. Just do some interior "sprucing up" and enjoy for a year or two before the major tear down happens.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Shoot, I'm practically a founding member of the Starmada and when I was looking for my SS I certainly wouldn't have turned my nose up at a Sylvan, Sea Nymph, Smokercraft, older Blue Fin (stay away from the newer Spectrum Blue Fins, those were crap), or Crestliner.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good to know ezmobee!! I'm glad to hear that these late 70's sea nymph's were built good. It will really depend on how low the marina will go. Like I say its been at least a year in their inventory. The boat is solid. needs new seats, new paint job, i would lay new carpet and call it good for a while. The transom and floor seem solid so I could go a couple years before the major resto. Although I would have to move to a new forum tho... Hmmmm decisions decisions.... LOL

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ezmobee, I have a question for ya. Iwas kinda thinking this year I would maybe do the floor and wait on the transom seeming how I want to lay new carpet. On your Jupiter rebuild I notice you said you did the floor then the next year the transom. did you find you were working against your progress with the floor from last year or is the transom/ floor doable in any order?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

On our boats, the deck and transom have absolutely nothing to do with one another so you can do them in any order.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I agree, I rebuilt the deck last winter and I'm working on the transom now.

No problems at all with doing these at different times.