Gimbal bearing question

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pre-alpha drive (#470 drive on a 1978 year boat). I know the manual says to change the gimbal bearing and cartridge all at once but I have done a little research and some folks say to just pop the old bearing out and put a new one in the old cartridge; has anyone changed the bearing leaving the old cartridge installed? What would be the downside to this? Secondly; my alignment tool is MIA - think I left it among a mass of parts in NY which I am unable to go dig thru until a few months from now so, can I just use the old [long] yoke to make sure the engine/bearing is aligned?? Thanks guys!

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Gimbal bearing question

I know the manual says to change the gimbal bearing and cartridge all at once but I have done a little research and some folks say to just pop the old bearing out and put a new one in the old cartridge; has anyone changed the bearing leaving the old cartridge installed? What would be the downside to this?
here's what mercrusier had to say about that.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/85/85_26.pdf

can I just use the old [long] yoke to make sure the engine/bearing is aligned??
no. the reason i believe no is because it has mating splines and is a loose fit compared to a alignment bar. an alignment bar mates with the inside dia. of the splines in the coupler letting you know if the gimble brg and coupler are aligned.. maybe someone else can explain why not better... but i'm sure using the yoke is not gonna accomplish the alignment deed..

mr 88

Commander

I have replaced the bearing only with no issues.The reason my bearing went was a bad bellows. In that repair I did not need a alignment tool. Each case may be different. Why did your bearing let go would be my first question to you.I also have seen the yoke work on many a outdrive for alignment.

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Same here-bad bellows. But my bearing didn't feel bad, I just thought I'd change out while I'm in there. The bulletin posted in the link is included at the end of SM#4 so I have it already; just curious if anyone has done it successfully anyway...

I have replaced the bearing only with no issues.The reason my bearing went was a bad bellows. In that repair I did not need a alignment tool. Each case may be different. Why did your bearing let go would be my first question to you.I also have seen the yoke work on many a outdrive for alignment.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go for it if you want, people half azz things together all the time and get away with it (for a while anyway)

Read the blue part of my signature.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

...some folks say to just pop the old bearing out and put a new one in the old cartridge...

If that bearing has ever been changed, and if the new one was installed properly (according to the manual) you will not be able to do that anyway. Unless the two cutouts on the bearing outer housing are facing out (they are supposed to be installed with the cutouts facing in) you can not remove the inner bearing without removing the whole thing. Just replace the whole unit.

telstar1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I too have replaced bearing only leaving sleeve in the housing with absolutely no issues for hundreds of hours. As stated, you can only do this if the notches are facing out, which they just may have been in 1978, not sure.
I am very confident in the "bearing only" method to the point that if and when I have to do the next one(new to me boat, notches are facing in) I will be looking seriously at whether it is possible to install a new assembly "backward" ie notches out, to allow bearing only replacement.
Key to the whole thing imho is does the new bearing go in snug like it should or do you have to beat on it.If its too tight (or loose) there will be issues, guarranteed.

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nah its the original bearing, I already poped it out of the cartridge. Never been changed because it only has 84 hours on it. I'm not trying to half * it, just didn't know if there was any difference in just changing the bearing alone or whole cartridge. I read the warnings and all but there is a warning for everything these days! I will replace the whole thing-suppose if I'm changing it "just because" I may as well do it all correctly.

As far as alignment bar do you think it would be better to get one off of ebay or have a machinist make one?

Don S

As far as alignment bar do you think it would be better to get one off of ebay or have a machinist make one?

Either way makes no difference, the dimensions are in the Adults only sticky under Merc information.

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another ? I have is what is the difference between the white dot and red dot replacement bearings?

Don S

the inner race of the bearing is shorter on the red dot bearing. More clearance for the larger yokes on some of the Bravo drives.
You want the one with the white dot.

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay. I was getting a little confused because a few of the white dot ones I saw say "Non-greasable replacement for the red dot"

Don S

Why don't you order by part number instead of sight or basic discription. you would be a lot better off.

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

can't shop by picture when everyone uses generic ones. I have been searching by # many of them say they supersede the number I'm looking up.. Just want to make sure I get the right one if I'm going to spend the money. I just ordered one so we will see :D

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

can't shop by picture when everyone uses generic ones. I have been searching by # many of them say they supersede the number I'm looking up.. Just want to make sure I get the right one if I'm going to spend the money. I just ordered one so we will see :D

Try here: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/mercruiser_parts.asp

Do a "search with pictures", you should end up here:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...br=1595&bnbr=30&bdesc=GIMBAL+HOUSING+ASSEMBLY

Good luck.

mr 88

Commander

I am not going to get into a %%*%& contest here. I will say that Merc and all MFG's are in the business of selling parts, higher mark up. How many companys actually make these bearings with the race? Probably one and then they pkg. it as Merc etc. NAPA sells these, if I buy one from them is that cutting corners or just saving money? As far as the race fitting the bearing they are all made on a CNC machine that does not deviate from unit to unit.Some car Mfgs manuals have you changing your headlight lamp bulbs every year with OEM units. How many people on here do that ?

telstar1

Petty Officer 1st Class

mr88 let me be the first to agree with you and congratulate you on saying something that needed saying. EXACTLY. We are repeatedly chastised on this forum for not following the book etc on repair procedures. The fact is that there are many out there who have dared to try something a bit different than what the book says and have found success. They should be welcomed for their innovation, not denigrated.After all the book was written first, and probably never updated,wheras free thinking individuals will no matter what the endeavour continue to find better ways.The comparison to car recommended intervals was right on.

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

The way I do it is compare the expense of the whole part to the price of getting what I NEED. What I end up with depends on the difference in price of course. If my boat was fully restored it would be worth the staggering grand total of $1500, and that is with a booming economy. Some things for me aren't worth it and some are in my situation. I ended up with a Sierra bearing pretty cheap. It was only $10 bucks less to get the bearing without the race so I figured why not.