first prostate exam today

leoo24

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys :)

Have been having some urinary troubles these days and went to the urologist today. I'd been reading up on my symptoms and pretty much knew prostatis might be one culprit and that i may get a prostate exam, i'm only 32......

i've heard so many jokes about the exam i kinda guessed it would be unpleasant, but you know what, it was over so quickly, wasn't painful at all that it doesn't bare giving thought to really, so i walked away with a smile, one thing less in life to be afraid of lol

not that i'm saying i'd be knocking on the docs door for another exam tomorrow morning but it really is nothing of an event to worry about. I've got a gastric endoscopy in 2 weeks which i'm sure is going to be alot more unpleasant!

So guys if you've got an appointment you're dreading, don't it's nothing :)

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: first prostate exam today

I don't think they are as bad as the feeling of being "Violated" the typical middle aged heterosexual male would expect to feel, I hate them and for this exact reason, problem is my family has a bad history of cancer so I have to get it done yearly, and every year I hate it. My Doctor tells me the same line every year too, "get the robe on or I'm sending Louis(the other DR. in the office) in and you have seen his knuckles!"

Go Aweigh2452

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ended up in the hospital ER and was admitted after they found I was infected with ecoli from the procedure and they had a hard time controlling it with antibiotics. They used a super antibiotic that finally got it under control but I nearly died. I was in intensive care for two days and the doc's say I only have one other antibiotic that would work if I had another prostate exam and ecoli infection. I will think twice before I ever do one again!

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

It's a necessary evil!
Guys, when we get around 45 or 50 we need this done yearly...don't wait for a problem!

leoo24

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmmmm ...... :D

hehe, yeah i wondered about my wording there! it was a smile of relief hehe, relief mainly that the prostate was fine along with it not being such a traumatic experience that i had feared.

Doug, you're in a difficult situation there, as fishbone says it's a necessary evil, although a blood test can be used to test for cancer these days. How did they say you got the ecoli? was it just the normal digital exam you had?

leoo24

Petty Officer 2nd Class

talking about uncomfortable exams, we all know we can't compete with what women have to go through at the gyno, but i ddin't realise and other guys may not also...

my wife had breast cancer very young, she's all clear but she said the mammography was excruciating, i've seen them on tv but didn't realise they have to squash the breast between two plates to get the image, my wife said she almost fainted from the pain. I thought hey just pressed themselves up against the apparatus.

so, atleast we don't have to get our berries squashed to get the examined hehe

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

talking about uncomfortable exams, we all know we can't compete with what women have to go through at the gyno, but i ddin't realise and other guys may not also...

my wife had breast cancer very young, she's all clear but she said the mammography was excruciating, i've seen them on tv but didn't realise they have to squash the breast between two plates to get the image, my wife said she almost fainted from the pain. I thought hey just pressed themselves up against the apparatus.

so, atleast we don't have to get our berries squashed to get the examined hehe

Many women are afraid of their first mammogram, but there is no need to worry. By taking a few minutes each day for a week preceding the exam and doing the following exercises, you will be totally prepared for the test! Best of all, these simple exercises can be done at home.

Exercise 1
Open your refrigerator door and insert one breast in the door. Have one of your strongest friends slam the door shut and lean on it for good measure. Hold that position for 5 seconds. Repeat with other breast.

Exercise 2
Visit your garage at 3am when the temperature of the cement floor is just perfect. Remove your clothes and lie comfortably on the floor with one breast wedged under the rear tire of the car. Ask a friend to slowly back up the car until your breast is sufficiently flattened and chilled. Turn over and repeat for the other breast.

Exercise 3
Freeze two metal bookends overnight. Strip to the waist. Invite a stranger into the room. Press the bookends against one of your breasts. Ask the stranger to smash the bookends together as hard as they can. Set an appointment with the stranger to meet next year and do it again.

You are now properly prepared!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Ouch! What women go through (don't forget about child birth) clearly demonstrates which sex is stronger in life, the fact that men live shorter lives then women clearly demonstrates there is a god.........

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

The prostate exam is nothing too terrible to worry about, until the doc has to steady himself by placing one hand on your shoulder. Its time to get the heck outta there when he tells you to bear down and you feel both his hands on your shoulders. :D

JBow

Seaman Apprentice

The prostate exam is nothing too terrible to worry about, until the doc has to steady himself by placing one hand on your shoulder. Its time to get the heck outta there when he tells you to bear down and you feel both his hands on your shoulders. :D

You know its not going to be fun when the doctor removes his watch. :(

JRJ

Commander

No big deal my lady Dr. says :p

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No big deal my lady Dr. says :p

Funny, that's what mine says! :D

I ended up in the hospital ER and was admitted after they found I was infected with ecoli from the procedure and they had a hard time controlling it with antibiotics.

I'd like to know how you got ecoli from a prostate exam.:confused:

On a side note.........I'm at the age for a colonosopy.
I heard that's a real bummer! :eek:

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I heard that's a real bummer!

The day before is the bummer. The procedure, itself, is a non-event. Unless Dr Strangelove is doing it ...

Bigprairie1

Commander

....whatever you do, don't ask for a second opinion. He'll use two fingers.:eek:
BP:):cool:

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

On a side note.........I'm at the age for a colonosopy.
I heard that's a real bummer! :eek:

The prep is the worst part. The quart or so of the most foul tasting stuff that ya must drink the day or so before and of course the enema.

For the actual exam, you're pretty much sedated, which is good. They pump you up with gas, insert the scope, look around a bit, taking a movie as they go. In recovery, the noises can be hilarious once some one starts chuckling.

Go Aweigh2452

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny, that's what mine says! :D

I'd like to know how you got ecoli from a prostate exam.:confused:

Well, he used the contraption that took 12 hunks of flesh out of the prostate with 18 tries. If you ever had one, you know they are spring loaded pricks that gather samples of your prostate. Apparently the tool they used was not sufficiently sanitized... at least that was the story I got from the head nurse...

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Not too bad, this thread made it further then I thought it would before it went downhill!!!!LOL